Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic Heating Question

Options
Brian_77
Brian_77 Member Posts: 2
I have a One Pipe hydronic heating system in my early 1900's 1000 square foot home. The system consists of two 1 1/2" black pipe loops which feed several cast iron baseboard heaters via Taco Diverter Tees. The system is powered by a natural gas fired Burnham Boiler set at 180 degrees which was just recently installed in 06/2006 by a previous owner.

My question is this: I am currently remodeling my kitchen and the most efficient proposal involves removing the current baseboard heater (approx 13'x8" cast). This space will then be occupied with cabinets. I can run about 14' of "new" baseboard in the far end of the kitchen eating area (end of house). I have two concerns about this; that this new style baseboard doesn't have "strength" of the old style, and that this is 10' away from the old unit. I looked into the hydronic toe-kick heaters, but it appears that they are only rated to 120-140 degrees and are not recommended for a one-pipe system. Any ideas? Would I be better off with putting in a high BTU radiator instead of a baseboard in the new area?

Comments

• Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 268
    Options
    baseboard

Why not re-use the cast iron baseboard,it worked to heat the room , can't you re-locate it ?
  • Brian_77
    Brian_77 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I plan on re-using it in another area. The problem is the area its being removed from, the "galley", essentially becomes unheated. The floorplan is fairly open so I don't know if it will be a huge problem, but I just wanted to be safe.
This discussion has been closed.