Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where to find \"Hydronic Explorer II\"?

Options
Bob_125
Bob_125 Member Posts: 2
I'm thinking of going from forced air to hot water baseboard heating. I have seen mention of SlantFin's "Hydronic Explorer II" program but can't find it on their siet or on this site..
Is it still available and if so does anyone have a link to it?

Thansk,
bob

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    Slant/Fin

is no longer offering this, Bob.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options

It must have changed recently, because I had no trouble getting it 2008-November-10. A google search will find the .pdf file for the instruction manual.

This page implies they give training in it:

http://www.slantfin.com/training.html

Why not telephone them?

Phone: 1-516-484-2600
    Email: info@slantfin.com

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,544
    Options
    It changed

last spring. They no longer provide it. That's why we no longer have it available on the site. They asked me to remove it.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Bob_125
    Bob_125 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Can anyone recommend any other such program? I have found HVAC-CALC, they have a "home" version for $49.00. Not as good as free but probably better than guessing..

In my case I have a 3 storey house with an existing forced air system. I am doing a large reno (suite in basement, new 3rd story) and need to move the furnace and replace most of the ductwork. The prices I have got for this work have been quite high. Got me thinking about alternatives and a hot water baseboard system my be the better choice.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    HVAC-CALC

Is what I use all the time for residential heating/cooling loads. It's not difficult to use and I'll bet that the $50 investment will come back X 5 on what you save by sizing your components correctly.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options

In the back of John Siegenthaler's book, "Modern Hydronic Heating For Residential and Light Commercial Buildings" 2nd Edition is a CD-ROM for his "Hydronics Design Studio" that is very useful. It is, however, the Academic Version that has limitations that you would not probably want if you were a professional using it on a regular basis (you cannot save your work, but you can print it out); you can have only two zones and 3 rooms per zone. Stuff like that.

I found I liked that for figuring out temperatures, pumps to use, etc. It will compute heat loss, but I liked the Slant/Fin one better.

The Professional Version is fairly expensive, but a professional could probably amortize the cost over many jobs, where a homeowner like me could not.

http://store.hydronicpros.com/category.php?QCID=1gm35d6gt6jj825snr868osgm5&qcc=1004&qpg=1
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766
    Options

I use the Slant/fin program all the time. I wonder why they no longer offer it? Wonder if there is something wrong with it.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    Options
    Hydronic Explorer II

I have it on a CD!
  • Jim Erhardt_3
    Jim Erhardt_3 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    S/F Hydronic Explorer

When I worked at S/F, I was directly involved with the development of HE. It is based on the I=B=R method and produces reliable results. I worked directly with the programmer and I still have my copy. ;-)

Why is it no longer offered? I just found that out myself, but I would guess that under the current economic circumstances, it is due soley to financial considerations.

Too bad as it is a useful program and IMO a great promotional tool for S/F.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Economic circumstances?

The software is already written.Where's the cost? Sell downloads for a fee and they could make money on it
  • Jim Erhardt_3
    Jim Erhardt_3 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I agree...

I was giving a Hydronics presentation at the NEFI training center a few weeks ago and made mention of S/F's HE. It was afterward I discovered that it is no longer listed here on Heating Help nor on S/F's site. An e-mail to my contact at S/F inquiring about the status of HE remains unaswered.
  • Bob Flanagan_3
    Bob Flanagan_3 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    HE II

To All:

First off thanks to all for the compliments on the HE II. Secondly the HE II was discontinued because it needed to be updated quite a bit. It had boiler products that we no longer manufactured and did not include newer boilers. There was nothing wrong with the programs calculations.

If you call and speak to our customer service department, I am sure we can find a CD to send to you.

Thanks,
    Bob Flanagan
    Vice President-Sales
    Slant/Fin Corp.
    516-484-2600

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.