Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Economite burner ?

Jim Davis_3
Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
Don't know of any Economite burner that could sidewall vent on its own. You can certainly use a sidewall venter kit with B-Vent and proper post-purge(5 minutes)and should have know problem.

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Economite burner ?

A local dairy farm asked me to install a milk pasteurizer they recently purchased and I'm having absolutely no success in getting info on venting this device from the burner manufacturer, Midco. After leaving 8 messages for tech support over the last 10 days I have given up on them.

So my situation is this. Vertical venting with B-vent is nearly impossible as the room is under the hay loft. The nearest sidewall is on the eave end of the building with about 60' of steel roof above it. If I vent it out the side and up with B-vent the first snow slide off that steel roof will destroy the stack, guaranteed. Can this unit/burner be sidewall vented with the appropriate SS or AL294C vent?
  • To the best of my

knowledge of the top of my head a "B" vent can't be used with a conversion burner.

You can't side wall vent any power gas conversion burner it must be a masonry chimney lined or a type "L" oil burner vent.

I would say to check with the manufacturer but you are already frustrated with that.

Steve I do not have my conversion burner info handy at my office it is at my center. I can check for you tomorrow and get back to you.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Thanks Tim

That would be greatly appreciated. Evidently manufacturers are not only cutting production as noted in Dan's post but also cutting staffing down to the bone. I have asked for someone else besides (Shawn) (Sean) or whoever he is but apparently he is the only person working tech service right now at Midco and probably has bigger fish to fry than a little Economite.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Wouldn't

the appliance manufacturer and not the burner manufacturer be the one to supply the venting requirements?
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Typically

Yes. In this case though the manufacturer of the pasteurizer seems to have no info or knowledge of the issue and refers to the burner company. Kind of a mess. The manual with the unit says nothing about installing the burner, just operating only. There is a very brief manual with the burner with instructions on setting the burner up in a F/A furnace but this firebox is far from what one would normally see. It's about 4" tall, 24" wide and 40" long. There are 4 rectangular holes approx 3"x5" spaced evenly down the length of the firebox that open into a chamber directly below the milk product to be pasteurized. It looks to me that this thing has to be set up perfectly in order to avoid burning the milk and/or flame impingement.
  • Typically

most of the installation manuals for conversion burners/power burners spec some requirements as to venting along with flue pipe sizing and barometric versus draft hood.
  • Steve what is the number on the burner

you are installing?
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620

Don't know if it'll help but here's where you can find the manuals that might have the information you're looking for? just click on products to down load manuals.

Economite

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • Darrell_4
    Darrell_4 Member Posts: 79

Right, wrong or ugly I take care of several Midco gas burners, E20's, that are vented out the adjacent sidewall using a Tjerlund draft kit and UCB control. No issues at all...in fact, they seem to be less trouble because I can more closely control the draft.

Whether the Manufacture likes it or not maight be another story...
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Sidewall venting

I can't think of any equipment that can't be sidewall vented with the proper sized venter. Gas, propane, oil, doesn't matter. The key to eliminate condensation is using a proper post-purge. Single wall pipe is functional as long as you are not going through combustibles.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Model #'s

The burner is an EC-200 set up for propane. The pasteurizer is made by Westward and as near as I can tell from the lit the model is WP120/150.
  • Steve I talked with

rep from Sweeney-Rogers Corporation here in New England is the distributor for EC200. They stated as Jim said that it can be sidewall vented. They recommend either Tjernlund or Exhausto. The instructions for the EC200 do not mention not using double wall so I guess it is okay as long as negative pressure is maintained in the vent. The old rules would not allow it but things change so it is okay.

If you need to contact Sweeney Rogers their number is
    508-822-3939.

Hope that helps.

• Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    all the burner and boiler know

is draft, it is up to the power venter mfg, like fields controls, you install the venter per mfg specks.

You can mount the venter at the termination point on the wall and even run single wall vent pipe back to the breach as long as you are staying in the same room since you are creating a negative pressure in it no special sealing is required.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.