Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas boiler shuddering and ticking

Peter B
Peter B Member Posts: 1
I have a gas boiler in my basement. It has 4 thermostats. I recently reversed the direction of flow. Now the hot water reaches the individual heaters first in it's circulatory path and the circulator is on the hot (output) side of the boiler. But as the boiler reaches about 140 degrees it shudders. like water hammer? or an obstruction? Kind of a muffled tinging sound. Don't know. I tried only running one branch (one thermostat) at a time, to isolate it, but the noise seems to occur in all branches as it reaches about 140 deg. I also drained it down quite a bit and let fresh air back into the air tank and refilled the system. But the water hammer noise seems to persist.
Does anyone know if this is dangerous or going to cause leaks down the line? Anyway it's just plain kind of noisy.
Previously the water went to the second floor of the house first and then it would drop back down to the main floor where all but one baseboard heater is. It was giving up so much heat energy before it ever reached the heaters and the energy bill was so high so I had to reverse it.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.