Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mass. code requirements for oil vents in masonry chimney

joel_19
joel_19 Member Posts: 931
Well there's a few things could you be more specific what are you trying/wanting to do?

Comments

• Ken Wood
    Ken Wood Member Posts: 1
    massachusetts fuel oil code

What are the venting requirements for fuel oil to a masonry chimney?
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    The question is...

Does a masonry chimney serving an oil fired appliance require a SS liner. 31 does not call for it but does MA code.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,071
    NFPA 31 and chimney liners

According to the 2006 edition, 6.6.2 Masonry chimneys shall meet the requirements of Ch 7 of NFPA 211.
    6.6.7 Prior to installation of new or replacement appliance, installer shall perform visual inspection of chimney
    6.6.7.1 Inspection limited to cleanout and breeching using mirror and flashlight
    6.6.7.2 If deterioration exists or if the vent is found to inhibit performance, the owner must be notified in writing, it shall have a Level II inspection by a qualified person.

You show me a masonry chimney serving an oil burner that can pass a level II without a listed liner and I'll eat it. They don't exist. Also note the performance provision. A thin walled liner will, if properly sized and installed, perform much better than a cold, rectilinear high thermal mass oversized flue.
    Bob
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    yup

Here's how i handle it. In any oil quote we recomend that the chimney be inspected by a certified chimney sweep. We inform them that a stainless liner may be needed and is recomended to protect the chimney blah blah. I have not had any local inspectors tell someone they have to put one in but found most folks when informed make the right choice on their own.
This discussion has been closed.