Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High efficiency oil boilers

KB_2
KB_2 Member Posts: 16
Has anyone had any experience with any of the 90 plus oil fired boilers. I can't help but think they would be a real bear to clean if they soot up. Any insight pro or con would be appreciated.

Comments

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    Don't know about the new boilers, but

When I used to clean the Yukon Ultima condensing furnaces some 20 yrs ago, I would securely tape up all the places that could leak and take the CVT drain line and use it as a site glass and fill the condensing coil and secondary with water. Once filled I'd drain it into a 5 gallon pail and after two fills that thing was as clean as a whistle. I'd then let the water evaporate off and deal with the "residue". Prior to developing this method...it was a freakin' nighmare to clean.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Just did

this one a month ago,so too soon for service.This is a Peerless Pinnacle,it has no secondary HX and it's very easy to access.
  • KB_2
    KB_2 Member Posts: 16
    Very nice job

Actually that is the boiler i was looking at. Is that a Deaerator on the oil line. Do you use them all the time or just on this particular boiler.
  • Jim_64
    Thanks!

That is a deaerator and I use them wherever there is a lift situation.The Pinnacle is downfired,the burner is above the level of the oil.This is a pic w/ the cover off.It's a real nice boiler,quietest oil unit I've ever heard.
  • Jim_64
    This test

was with the boiler temp 160 or so. On a cold start,stack temp is about 118
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    So far

I'm happy with Buderus Blue Flame. I am feeling pretty good about the 93+ units b/c the blue flame tech assures complete combustion and low N0x. Meaning the secondary HXer will be a snap to service..I have many nightmares from the early 90's Yukon condensers that were a complete disaster, so for Buderus to impress me says a lot. The key is the emission factor.

What's nice is that they come with a Tiger Loop Ultra with Garber filter and Hg gauge and the Logomatic. They also have an outside air boot that runs through the boiler jacket to the burner (warms the air about 2* as well)

I have two more G125 90%-ers to go before August.
  • Jim_64
    Bob

I like them as well,just a tough sell here.By 90%er's do you mean the G125BE?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Yes Robert

the G125BE is the 90%, the GB125BE is the 93% condenser.

Lot's of G's +B's to keep track of :)
  • Jim_64
    What

really sucks is they don't round off AFUE. 89.8% means no $1500!!!!
This discussion has been closed.