Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quick-Trac system design?

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
Eric, the first QT project is the hardest. The loops, using 5/16 tubing, should be under 175ft. That means you may need manifolds located for loop design length. Uponor does design CAD loop layout for a reasonable price. That may help you the first time. The Uponor ADS software tells alot. It will print up a material list, providing you enter the correct values into the program. We usually divide the floor into quadrants and place the manifolds accordingly under the main floor as required.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=104&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Argh!

Looking for advise on designing a system using quick-trac panels. I have not used them before.

The system will be two zones, one for basement and one for main level (split entry home).

Ceiling of basement to remain, I think it would work best to put manifolds(s) for main level in the basement mechanical room. Mech. room is somewhat centrally located and does not have a finished lid.

I guess my first obstacle is layout, I am not seeing how to get the supply/returns for multiple loops all in the same area.

How do you figure the amount of return end pieces needed?

Ahhh....I want to use this product but it is beating me so far and I don't like it.

Thanks to anyone that is inclined to bend their brain.

Peace

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"

• if you drop your loop leaders below the floor, you make your life way easier. then you just do a nice regular back and forth and just drop to run to/from your manifolds periodically.

There is a quik trak design manual you should be able to get from Uponor, or maybe there is a climate panel manual from Viega. It has all the info you need for material planning and the like.

This is not my product of choice for a basement retrofit though: Roth panel is a better choice there. 3/4" height with some insulation for good measure, fits nicely.
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Thanks NRT.Rob

I will check the manuals, gonna check the Roth product right now.

Peace

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Eric figure

sq. ft. x .386 for straight panels and sq ft x .043 for returns. Maybe throw in a few extra of each just in case.

Like Paul said, watch those leader lengths, you want no loop to be over 250, 200-220 is a nice limit. But, they may be shorter for high load areas. Uponor's ADS will guide you there, I would be driving blind w/o a design from it, and it's not something you want to fix in hindsight.

Try to centralize the manifolds, pop the Hepex up through the floor to get the first floor going. Basement will depend on where you are starting/ending loops. I have collected all the leaders and ran them to a wall manifold (this takes up a lot of floor acreage, unless you trough out a channel under subfloor. Other runs get into the mech room and go to satellite manifolds.

The ADS will reveal your head and flow, which has to be watched w/ the 5/16 tube. May need more, shorter loops.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.