Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam main and return replacement

It sounds like you`ve been busy doing some reading and <i>practical work</i> lol.<BR>You should have no-problem <i>dripping</i> that 90° at its <i>upturn point</i>, I would use a reducing T and re-connect(down) back into the wet-return so no condensate will <i>linger</i> at that point.<BR><BR>As for your <i>wet-return</i>, sure you can bury a part of it, whatever part you do I would use copper piping and protect-it from concrete contact. You should add a few valves & hose bibs so(if ever), you can isolate & flush this new <i>low-point</i> clean. ;-)<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• charlie_22
    charlie_22 Member Posts: 18
    steam main and return replacement

After reading Dans book I decided to have a look around my basement at my steam main and its many components here"s what I found the headder was a 2" pipe comming straight out of the boiler tapping going into a bullhead tee connected to a steam main that had sagged in two sections and had all of its takeoffs comming out of the main at 90" even risers that served two rads on the second floor. As I followed the main further I found there were no air vents at all. My return is a pipe that runs across the floor that I trip over from time to time and connects to somthing that sort of resembles a hartford loop.So I decided to at least adress some of the problem so I started at the boiler first I installed 21/2 inch drop headder to a 1 1/2 inch equilizer and making the proper connection for the hartford loop with shutoff valve and drain valve.Next I installed a air vent on the short main run 15 inches back from the end of the main and 10 inches high that was in 2007 the system has worked pretty good since but now I have some time and I doing full main and return replacement I am planning to drip risers that feed two rads upstairs and have all takeoffs at 45 degrees rather than 90 and install main vents and vacum breakers.My question is this the main runns along the foundation front to back three quaters of the was it makes a 90 degree turn at that 90 I would like to raise the main up so when it crosses the basement cieling I dont hit my head is that okay if I drip it at the 90? My second question is directly under the main is the return that runns across the floor that trip on from time to time I would like to partialy bury as it crosses the floor and then have come out of the floor and run down the lenth of the foundation exposed.My understanding is that the leftover steam pressure and the static head from my 'A' dimension return the condensate to the boiler regardless of pitch.Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated thanks Charles Norgalis
  • charlie_22

Ok I will definatly install the the flush fittings thanks for the reply Dave talk to you soon Charlie
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    steam repipe

every thing Dave mentioned sounds correct. post a sketch of piping arrangement if you wish confirmation.
  • charlie_22

Bob: I dont have proper equipment to scan a document then post it but thank you for your intrest
This discussion has been closed.