Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rigging, OT

lee_7
lee_7 Member Posts: 457
COuld get really fancy and get an ATV winch. Push the button and up it goes :-)

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

So I bought a new 2-pontoon raft for fishing and now I need to store it up against the garage ceiling. It needs to be supported from below to get it tight to the ceiling, and is light enough for me to lift it into the truck but not really carry it. Would block & tackle work, and how does that work? Anyone ever design something like this?

Thanks, Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

How heavy id it? Why not use 4 pulleys attached to ceiling and make a frame for it to sit on. Tie ropes to platfoem, thru pulleys and then to anchor point on wall. You could then just raise and lower at will and slide into truck or onto trailer.
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    That sounds......

like a good idea. If you take that and get really creative you could route all four lines through a central pulley and rig up some kind of crank or wheel to pull them all simultaneously.

Maybe find a crank from an old coal boiler ash dump. Then it would have a heating tie in and not be OT. :)

We would need pictures then.....

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• rt_2
    rt_2 Member Posts: 86

I used an old winch off from an old boat trailer one time to raise and lower a storage box I built which carried some of my camping equipment. The box sat on my car roof. When I was done using it, I would back into the garage, hook up four ropes, (one to each corner) then just crank the winch which was mounted to the wall next to the car. The four ropes were connected to one rope. It went up to one pulley above the car, then across the ceiling to a second pulley then down to the winch. Worked great.

RT
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395
    Carfull

My dad did the same thing with a ocean Kayak when I was a kid. Two ropes and a pulley and up it went. They were tied of to a Clevis on the wall. One night one of the eye bolts pulled out of the ceiling and the car got nailed. Not a happy morning. Good idea I have things hanging form the ceiling all over my shop but a safety rope or chain is a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.