Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar Sales

Options
Steven Eayrs
Steven Eayrs Member Posts: 33
Lots of questions answered. Lots of sticker shock. Two systems in the last month or so installed. Mainly oil fired area, and electric is 20 cents/kw, both were higher alst winter, but we're still higher than up the road a ways. I think its a harder sell where NG is cheap.

Comments

• Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Solar Sales

How Have the interest in solar jobs looked for everyone in the last month or so? How many have actually committed?
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    Options
    solar

Last summer when fuel was very high, I had many calls. No takers however. Mostly tire kickers. This year, no calls but on some jobs, I am roughing in the feed and returns for "future use". I think when fuel prices spike again, more calls will happen. The credits are there but people are not willing to part with the intitial investment around here.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have one

4 panel system next week, but other than that its been dead. People are scared and are just not letting go of the money no matter how good the incentives are.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,550
    Options
    sales are up !

Going to be done with a 6 panel system next week..
    starting a single collector system in two weeks... and another 6 panel system to follow soon after that....I am also going to be toying/bidding with a 110 panel system here in Colorado, in other words it looks great...

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,262
    Options
    three components

al-energy awareness is one part, and this seems to be gaining a lot of momentum. Certainly the new administration is helping a lot with this.

$$$! The states and areas with a high % of rebates or any program to help with the cost really makes a difference in closing the deal.

Fuel cost is the other big part. The $4 plus heating oil cost really motivated customers to buy.

On one hand affordable fuel costs are what the public wants, yet the higher costs really drive the buyers to solar.

I think we will see a slow but steady growth in solar thermal, which actually may be a better path. We need to get installers properly trained, educate the consumers to the various options, and be sure the component will last 15- 20 years.

Good presentation skills and referals or installations at your home or shop help build customer trust. They like to see what it looks like!

"Life's a pitch, then you buy" Billy the pitchman

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    ditto

We aren't selling much of anything. Last year was a banner year. i was hopefull as many firms really suffered the last couple years and we did ok through gods good graces and by trying to be as nimble as possible.

This year despite good incentives people are just scared of spending money. Clearly the media was hyping it up last fall to make sure their team won. I figured they would back that off more than they have this spring and after 2 years in the dumper we'd start pulling out by mid summer. Looks like that is not going to happen at all.

stocks are up around 24 percent off their lows. In any other year 24% would have the media cheering and folks dancing in the street.

I was offering 12 month 0% and some 24 months 0% and still few takers. think about it get the solar now start saving money and you don't have to pay for it untill AFTER uncle Sam gives you the money. You'd think it was a no brainer....
  • Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Commercial

Commercial projects seem to look more promising right now, a brewery and restaurant, and a large bed & breakfast on the line, residential is pretty slow, I think some people are waiting to see if they still have a job in the next few months or so.
This discussion has been closed.