Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Jury is In

Dan C.
Dan C. Member Posts: 248
I use the caps. Only in a temporary situation. Other than that I would never use them. I'm not sure if they are even approved in MA.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=329&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    The Jury is IN

OK it has been about five years and it should be easy to pass judgement on Sharkbite fittings. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I will not use them in a concealed area. I also only use them when nothing else will work. I have seen failures when used with aggressive water. Any one else have issues???
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

No issues yet. Have many on some pretty aggressive water situations.
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588

Similar designs have been in use in Europe for 30 years.
    Anyone have experience with them?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    Sold thousands of them

Only a couple of problems. Total confidence in them...
  • nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77

are any of you guys that like them licensed plumbers?
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Test Caps Etc,

Especially a problem on treated water lines. Never use them on ro systems. Even as terminaton fittings. The Sharkbite wannabes leave a great deal to be desired.

Test caps yes (reusable) temporary tie ins etc OK second floor concealed water lines never (I like to sleep nites)Glycol lines never.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    I Am Licensed

In Wisconsin, Minnesota. Georgia and Michigan.
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

Ran into a leaker that someone had used in a very awkward spot and likely hadn't been able to install perfectly.
  • Darrell_4
    Darrell_4 Member Posts: 79

They make an easy transition piece for all of the various types of pex that are on the market now with their special methods of joining to anything. No truck is big enough to carry a full set of fittings and tools for every kind of pex. When I, the service guy, have to cut into somebody else's pex, it is an easy choice...

Still not too comfortable concealing them.

The pex better be smooth and un-scuffed.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

I only use the caps for test caps. They are approved for mass despite our code on everything else the Sharkbite passed through without a peep. I saw one heating system with them one it as transition fittings between the non barrier Pex and the Copper pipe. That makes me not feel all warm and fuzzy. But they are popular with the internet ordered heating systems. I can see using them in the open for transition fitting. I do not use them though.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

They are great going from CPVC to copper or PEX. Also there have been a few times when I have no other way to make the connection without burning down or tearing apart the house. The only failures I have seen is where the fitting was cranked and the tubing not held straight.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.