Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Gas Fired Steam Boiler

but so far, a gas-fired MegaSteam is not factory-approved, so there is no support for it. So the G-8 and Intrepid with gas burners are the best available for now.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Alan_20
    Alan_20 Member Posts: 5

I'm about to replace my Weil McLean steam boiler. My guess is that it was installed around 1930. It was originally coal fired but later converted to oil. The new unit wiil be gas fired.

Here's the question. Who makes the best gas fired steam boiler?

I've read that after 9 or 10 years Burnham's develope leaks, Dunkirk's have problems with their electronic ignition systems, Slant Fin & Peerless have their own problems.

So, what's a homeowner to do?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    The most efficient ones

are the Smith G-8 and the Slant/Fin Intrepid. Both are wet-base boilers with power gas burners, which have better thermal efficiencies than the usual atmospheric gas boilers.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • kpc_74
    kpc_74 Member Posts: 14
    I don't think

Burnham had any issues w/ their steam boilers leaking... It was the old V7's that had a casting issue on the higher/over fired (water) units, not the steam. If they allowed you to put a gas gun on the MegaSteam unit ...that would be the best gas steamer on the market. kpc
  • JackR
    JackR Member Posts: 125
    Burnham

I agree, Burnham had issues with the V7 Oil water about 10yrs ago but I've been ussing the Burnham Independence for years with great success. All pin style boilers seem to be suffering the same fate in a short period of time with high fresh water make-up and chlorides in the water. The Burnham Megasteam would be awesome with a gas burner on it!!!!
  • Alan_20

According to Burnham's website the only gas fired steam boiler option is the Independence. So i'll look into that.

Does anyone have any experience with Dunkirk?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Those two companies

only sell atmospheric gas-fired steamers. These are less efficient than the Smith G-8 and Slant/Fin Intrepid with power burners.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Alan_20

The Slant/Fin and Smith are oil fired and I would like to switch to gas.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318

http://www.smithboiler.com/html/litlibrary.asp here is the link for Smith. the G8 brochure on the top of the list is the gas steamer.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Both those boilers

can be fired with either oil or gas. Look again at the pics I posted earlier. See the gas pipes running to the burners?

Both companies need to update their web sites to make the gas option on these boilers a bit more noticeable.

• Alan_20
    Best Gas Fires Boiler

Thanks,

You're right. The websites need to be updated.

Thanks.
  • Nelson_4
    Nelson_4 Member Posts: 38
    Why gas?

I'm a Boston homeowner who was in the same situation as you about a year ago...huge old inefficent boiler about 50 years old. But after comparing the oil and gas options, and asking a lot of questions on the Wall, we stayed with oil. We purchased a Burnham MegaSteam and cut our consumption almost in half! Is there a reason that you need to switch to gas? Also, have you looked into your chimney and/or venting requirements? This ended up being a bigger issue than the boiler for us...
  • Alan_20
    Best Gas Fired Boiler

It seems that on Long Island for the past few years, gas would have been a little less expensive.
    I've done some research and have found out that, no matter which system I go with, the chimney will have to be relined, not because it's in bad condition but, because of the lower temperature of the flue gases from the newer more efficient units
  • I've installed

Burnham and Peerless gas steam boilers , and neither brand has given us any issues at all .
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Slant fin and Smith too big?

Steamhead....What would you recommend if the Slant Fin Intrepid and Smith Series 8 are too big? I have just about 200 EDR.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Use

a 3-section G-8 steamer, whose rating is 283 square feet, and downfire it slightly.

This discussion has been closed.