Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

best replacement for steam radiators and staying with steam

Hi,My homes has steam radiators and over the winter,I had heating problems. Which caused more then half to froze and break. I need to replace them which would be the easiest way to go and still get the best home heating.??

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    radiator replacement

do a search using the search button at the top. use radiator replacement as the search string, and all the old postings here with suggestions as to sources of old steam radiators should come up. where is your location? while you are doing this,solve the problems you were having and fix those. steam heat is basically quiet, even, economical and comfortable; just dependent on proper maintainance.--nbc
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    radiator replacement

I have seen this many times in my work as a consultant to the insurance companies. Some spend hours and many $$ finding old, reconditioned radiators and a lot of money is spent on just that....old and reconditioned.
    First know that most older systems are way oversized for the home and that you should start with a complete heat loss analysis to determine just how much heat you need. You will be surprised at how much smaller you can go and still heat your home. And smaller gives you many more options than trying to replace the old hunks of iron.
    There are several companies making modern radiators and heat emittors for steam systems. Find a good steam guy and work with him. That would be your best resource to answer your questions.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Burnham or Governale can both get you new rads. I personally never have luck with used rads so unless they are going back into the house they are from I do not use them. I know many others use used all the time this is just my experience that it is less expense in the long run to get new ones to match the heat load of the room than to hunt down used ones.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I wonder why

there was enough water in those rads to make them freeze? Maybe the water feeder didn't close tight?

Beside the options already listed, try www.steamradiators.com . These are steel rather then cast iron, so you'd need to replace them all for the same thermal behavior. If you go this way, do a heat-loss on every room and size the new rads from that.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.