Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unheated radiant floor thru the winter

Ken Sappio
Ken Sappio Member Posts: 16
I have winterized hot water heating systems that would be idle for the winter by mixing in RV (campers & motor homes) antifreeze, it is non toxic

Comments

• Dave Miller_2
    Dave Miller_2 Member Posts: 11
    Can you leave a radiant floor unheated thru the winter

We are a non-profit historical society expanding our museum and have a about 1300 sqft floor in the new building that will be properly insulated with foam over crushed stone and "tubed" and poured. The question is, do we have to worry about maintaining some heat in the floor over this next winter, while we are raising the funds to complete the interior of the building, or can we leave it un-heated in Central NY, near Syracuse.

What is the collective wisdom?

Thank you,

Dave Miller
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    unheated radiant floor

As long as you don't put the water to it, you should be OK. IF it "gets wet" I would suggest either blowing it out with air or adding some antifreeze, but most important, leave the ends open to allow for any expansion if water is in the tubes
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    When

I do a pour, I do air at 70 psig. If the concrete guys make a leak they know. I am on site at a pour. I fix it, never has happened.

I do this you need the manifolds inplace and the system sealed.

We went by you last week.

• Great idea! Having the piping pressurized during a pour really makes a lot of sense. It would be readily apparent if the piping was damaged and give you the opportunity to fix it plus I imagine the cement guys, knowing they are working over a pressurized line, would tend to be more careful.
This discussion has been closed.