Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydronic basebd piping

Dana_9
Dana_9 Member Posts: 4
I am in the process of installing HW baseboard as a retrofit to electric baseboard.I have (1) zone which includes a master bdrm, master bath & a large lwr level bedroom directly below. I intend to run 3/4" to a pex manifold w/1/2" pex then run to each of the (3) baseboards. I will install a t-stat in the master bdrm to control the entire zone. Question: Do you see a problem w/ this or should I use a different configuration?
Thanks

Comments

• The piping

sounds OK, but are you sure you want to put the lower level bedroom on the same zone? Is it the kids bedroom? Does it have the same sun exposure?
  • Dana_9
    Dana_9 Member Posts: 4
    The Piping

That's my concern. The lwr level bdrm has the same exposure except it's a walk-out w/ more windows. I've calculated (slant/fin's free program) the lwr level needing 22' of radiation and the master (above the lwr) needing 14'. Do you think I can get these 2 rooms controlled close enough w/ the damper on the baseboard and maybe valves @ the manifold. (on the return side?). Or should I consider a series loop and TRV's. Also, where would be the best location for a bleeder? the upper floor baseboard?.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    pipe

WRONG choice of pipe. pex is used for radiant low temp.systems. and for baseboard heat use copper or steel pipe.
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Wrong Choice of Pipe?

Pex isn't the wrong choice of Pipe. You can use Pex for virtually anything now a days. Haven't you guys heard of the new DWV PEX they just came out with?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nathan_8
    nathan_8 Member Posts: 8
    manifold option

If I'm understanding you correctly you will have three hole manifold running to each of the rooms baseboard. you will need to make sure the pex manifold is a balance type or that all of your runs are the same length or the fluid will just short circuit through the shortest baseboard run. I would run telestats on each manifold run and a wilo stratos eco pump personally. that way each room would have its own control and you wouldn't need a differential bypass valve if only one zone was calling for heat. A little more in components but hey i like control of my heating system. Caleffi has a good idronics publication you can download from their website on this very type of system.
This discussion has been closed.