Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seems like a HUGE liability...

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Ace Hardware sells generic "universal" residential water-heater gas valves.

Enough said...

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    Options
    No difference..

No different than one of the supply houses I used to frequent...

While I'm waiting in line, a bright red Volvo pulls up to the front door..not your usual service vehicle.

Very well dressed lady (not your usual service tech) comes in holding a bath towel. Cuts in front of everyone. Dumps open the towel on the counter.

Gas valve, idb motor, limit switches, control board. It took me a second to realize she had just dumped out every electrical part from a forced air furnace, except the blower motor.

"My husband says we need all of this and to tell you I'll pay cash."

"No problem" says the counter guy. I wait unitl she leaves, ask the counter guy if she was maybe the wife of another contractor...."no, never seen her before."

What do you think the liabilty of that would be?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mars_3
    Mars_3 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Yea

Thats just what we. need. Boom boom.
  • Unknown
    Options
    brighter side...

I had a customer who, after I finished the first house, went to all my suppliers to try and buy the same stuff again for the second one to do it himself and cut me out of the deal. Naturally money was his motivation. He went to Totaline/Carrier in Hartford and the kid there, "Greg" (who looked and acted for all the world like the wrestler Bam Bam Bigelow but without the skullcap tattoo) literally chased his **** out of there. Sometimes there is justice. ;-)
  • don_205
    don_205 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    personally

I would rather see the supplier charge three times his cost so he can feed his family and then, pass my card to the guy.

Nothing I like better then being called out to rescue someone.The money is better and for the first time I get to see the customer looking up at me instead of down.

Now I gain a lifetime customer that now knows after learning the hard way like most of us do when trying to save a buck...that its better left to the guys that do it for a living.

They also become the best adverstisement for the buck that you could ever wish for.

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

But...at least when a supply house sells a part, it is likely the right part, the holes will line up, and it is the same brand. In this case, I can see duct tape holding it on while natural draft pulls the leaking gas out the vent so no one knows about the gas leak...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.