Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I have to pay a biddr for a heat-loss analysis?

Options
jeanRR
jeanRR Member Posts: 37
I need a bona fide heat loss analysis from two separate heating contractors. One of them has already supplied the results of his computerized analysis at no charge. Do bidders generally perform this service for prospective customers at no charge? The two contractors in this case each recommend a different size for the same brand of boiler.

Thanks.

Comments

• lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

Does your doctor give you free xrays? Some contractors will let you see a heat loss calc before you sign on the dotted line, most that I know will not. They will only spec out the equipment as needed from calcs. heat loss programs are not cheap, so a modest charge would not be out of order.

Just My Opinion
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    depends

some do, as you found out. Some may show you the numbers but keep the paper until you sign up.

It would be nice to know the second bidders heat load figure that he based the boiler size on, even if he doesn't care to leave it with you.

Time for a third opinion, or perform your own calc to compare.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jeanRR
    jeanRR Member Posts: 37
    Options

Thanks. Good ideas.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    something to consider

HO here who's paid for a few heat losses. A good heat loss can take as much as a few hours on the premises measuring, ascertaining insulation levels etc, and then a few hours on the computer making calculations.

A free heat loss may not get you the detail you need to get the best sized boiler. As suggested doing your own to compare is a great way to go. You're in a great position to take more time, and you'll learn alot in the process. the hydronics heating institute sells a great form for making the calculations. Good luck.

David

This discussion has been closed.