Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Who can deliver the goods???

Options
Nate Warren
Nate Warren Member Posts: 1
I'm curious about what piece of European Technology you would like to see brought to the US boiler market?
Do you think is there a US manufacturer that could actually introduce these technologies and support them properly?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Does it have to be

European? One of the slickest things Ive seen lately is Navien tankless and that is from South Korea. I also think when fuel reaches the cost it is in Europe you will see a lot more innovation from all over the world.
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    Not European

but I'm really interested in MCHP hydronic units.

I think these have a promising future here will far surpass geo/solar installs in 5+ years.

I'll try to know a little more about them next week when I'm up in Utica.

www.freewatt.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    mini splits powered by solar

thermal panels.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Unknown
    Options

From what I've read the Freewatt system it uses a Honda motor which runs on natural gas. Be interesting to look at some real world figures and the bottom line. I always hear about how cheap they are to operate though I've wondered when you factor in the initial cost and then maintenance (the motor has to be rebuilt from time to time)what the real operating cost is.

- Rod
  • singh
    Options
    Freewatt

Propane MCHP available also.

The real elephant in the room IMO is what is the "real operating cost" to run a coal or NG plant supplying the grid .....

• Unknown
    Options
    One from long island

Here is one I saw at the solar show. My bet is on water to water GEO powered by PV cells on a grid tie. http://www.geoenergyusa.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

More importantly is who will have money to pay for the latest technology?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    But internal combustion engines

are only about 20% efficient. So 1 gallon of LP at 92,000 BTU/ gallon turns into 18,400 worth of shaft power? Then the friction loss of the generator. I'm not sure you can scrub enough thermal btu off the conversion to make it a very viable option. Even if it never did need to be overhauled.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • singh
    Options
    Freewatt

claims
    Input of Honda MCHP at 18.5 MBH
    out of which - 12 MBH heat capacity is captured and 1.2 kW is generated. Total of 85+ effcient.
    The remaining btu's is generated by a mod/con.

To me it seems like a very viable option over costly PV , definately far better than solar thermal for space heat (for my area), and the jury is still out on grid tied GSHP systems.

I think the Freewatt module can also produce DHW. Hmmm

Hope to see you next week.
This discussion has been closed.