Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Straight Radiator Valve

If it was me, in my house I would block up the radiators so that I could use an angle valve. I prefer angle valves in these applications. This also helps getting the pitch right. Are you sure you need 1 1/2 valves? check the ratings on the radiators and the valves. i dont like seeing radiators with out valves, but it would work.

Comments

• Al Hendrickson_39
    Al Hendrickson_39 Member Posts: 1

Warning: DIY guy question.

Now that heating season is over, I have the opportunity to add radiators to a couple of unheated upstairs rooms. What I plan to do is to move a couple of downstairs radiators (single pipe steam) over a little, replace the angle supply valve with a tee so I can continue the risers upstairs, and to hook the downstairs radiators back up with straight shut-offs (1 1/2"). I do have access to a pipe threader, etc.

1) Does this make sense? (I have plenty of boiler capacity.)

2) What kind of straight valves should I get, and were can I buy them online? Or . . . do I just use full ported ball valves? (rather industrial)

Thanks in advance!
  • Al Hendrickson_40
    Al Hendrickson_40 Member Posts: 1
    Wow

A $220 high pressure valve seems a bit expensive. Is there anything else?
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

CONNECT IT WITHOUT A VALVE.
  • rob brown
    rob brown Member Posts: 69
    what he said

al, just hook it up without a valve, 1 pipe you shouln't be throttling it anyway. i would be more concerned about checking the sizes of riser and horz. run from main to the riser to see if it can handle intended load. rob
  • I would be very careful here Al,

did you edit your original post?,, it sounds to me like you want to extend what is now a single rad riser upstairs, presumably to pick-up other rads too, but still leaving the original downstairs rad(except moved-over)intact?
    You may be asking an awful-lot of a riser-size that was intended to be used for a single one-pipe rad. ;-)

Dave
  • bob young
    1 1/2 \" = mucho btu lol

if the riser is 1 1/2 " he should be o.k., Dave. the branch radiator might should be 1 1/4 " though.
  • I agree bob, old friend,

but he says he wants to add a "few" upstairs,, that can be a pretty broad statement, given we don`t know whats on the system below.
    Don`t you agree?

Dave
  • bob young
    we can only go so far for do-it-yourselfers

i agree 100 % ,Dave. but i am not going to the office & breaking out the rating charts because we ain't making a dime on this job !! brad white would draw him up a free set of plans. that's another story.
This discussion has been closed.