Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Well water question (OT) (Leo G)

Leo G_103
Leo G_103 Member Posts: 34
just opened up our summer place for the first time last weekend. We are on well water, so my question is, after turning the juice for the well system off, is it a good idea to drain the home of the water? Including the hot water tank? Or should we just turn the system off and leave?

Thanx for your time,

Leo G

Comments

• Do you mean,

Summer-izing your winter home & going to the cottage?
    Or first turning the water-on from the cottage that has not been used(or subject to freezing) in the winter months?

Edit- Sorry if I mis-read your post as I couldn`t understand your plight, (those kind of probs would never worry me!)

Perhaps I should start personalizing my messages to be more important?

Dave
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Dry pipes have less of a chance of growing bacteria in them. The issue is not burning out the water heater elements if it is an electric unit when you turn things back on. Most folks around here just turn off the power when coming and going is a common thing, say twice a month. If you are coming three times a summer then I say drain it incase you do not get back as soon as you planned. Write a shut down and turn onn check list and hang it in a frame by the electrical panel incase Uncle George and Aunt Ruth use the place a week you are not up. After flushing out the lines well it is good to test the water each year for bacterium and such. No one ever does but it is still a good idea.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Leo G_103
    dave

we just de-winterized the place. It's in Princeton (no, not the university!) and gets to below -30*C during the winter. So, yeah, what to do during the time we are using it in the spring/summer/fall.

Leo G
  • Leo G_103
    Thanx

charlie. That seems to be what most other people do too. But you know us wetheads, we're always trying to be on the cutting edge!!!!

Leo G
  • rt_2
    rt_2 Member Posts: 86

A friend of mine had a problem in his RV. It seems that he use to drain his water lines everytime he came back from camping. Then he started getting a rotten egg smell from his water. What had happenned is that bacteria started growing in the pipes when air was introduced to them. They never really had a chance to dry out completely. We had to mix up a batch of water and clorox and purged the pipes with this mixture. We let it sit for a couple of days then flushed every line with fresh water. Problem solved. With that, I wouldn't drain the lines in your camp. You could be asking for more problems. Just something to think about!!!

RT
  • Leo_33
    Leo_33 Member Posts: 2
    Gee

Gee,

We have a Princeton, Mass nearby. They must be everywhere :).

Leo
This discussion has been closed.