Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

weil mclain howt water boiler pump location

Options
Get the book '' Pumping away" from this site. It'll explain everything and more why the pump SHOULD be on the supply side.. Thanks to Dan for making this happens.

Comments

• ajchvac
    ajchvac Member Posts: 1
    Options
    weil mclain circulator pump location issues

why is it that Weil Mclain insists that the circulator pump on new cast iron boiler (CG series) installs be mounted on the supply? shouldnt pumps be on the return? these small pumps cant take the heat of 180 plus degree supply water, nor are they designed to pump up. on top of that, if the expansion tank is not on below the pump, the pump just pushes the water directly into the expansion tank. i only ask this because i have run across a few set ups like this where the customer has never gotten heat to their radiators because its all trapped at the boiler due to MFG stated pump location. am i incorrect on this? please let me know.
  • kpc_73
    kpc_73 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    actually...

the new small pumps can take the heat of 180F water... up to over 200F... pump should be on the supply side pumping away from the expansion tank... to better deal w/ the air.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Check the manual online

It shows 2 circ locations . On the supply or return pipe . With both setups the expansion tank is piped in before the circ .

I'm not sure which brand circ they send with the boiler , but the one we use is rated up to 230 or 240 degree water .
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options

You beat me to it. Dan's "Pumping Away" book it terrific. He really lays it all out. After you read it you can't believe you did it the other way for so long. Great book. It's available in the online store listed above.
This discussion has been closed.