Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Help

Supply House Rick
Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
Just a guesstimate is all we are looking for. Thanks

Comments

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    Can someone help? Please

I was told to come here so here it goes:

We are currently putting in a second story 20 x 15 x 8 addition. Only 4 windows, I think 5 x 3. It going to be well insulated. We live in the Pittsburgh area (Go Steelers)

Question is how much baseboard will we need and what kind of accessories off our boiler would you recommend?

Thank you in advance,

Tracy M
  • you really need to

This is coming from Chicagoland, ( go fumbling, dumpling Bears). Been to Pittsburgh many times and seen many houses have boilers/ hot water systems. You really need to get ahold of a real hot water system pro to do the heat loss and proper installation.
    Not just any plumber or forced air guy...
    Beware, if the rest of the home have cast iron or cast iron baseboard radiators ( the best), the new room should be too... where about in Pittsburgh are you?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    how much bb=

what the heat loss of the room says. What's the heat loss of the room?
  • ddenny
    ddenny Member Posts: 75

hello
    if you have air space above the ceiling with R-19 insullation above the ceiling R-13 insullation in the walls and a 5x3 window on each wall, my software tells me the heat loss will be 5,678 btuh which can be handled by 11 feet of base board. that should give you 70 degrees temperature on a 15 degree day. seems hard to believe because the heat loss comes out to less than 20 btuh per square foot. some guys I know guestimate 60 btuh per square foot. so instead of 3 feet of baseboard under each window, 60 btuh per square foot would require 9 feet of baseboard under each window. if only 12 feet scares you I think 20 would be plenty.
    for the extra acessories you need a circulator with a flo check valve, a switching relay for the extra zone and piping from and back to the boiler. also a thermostat and wiring. little more than a do it yourselfer job
  • jim dowling_2
    jim dowling_2 Member Posts: 15

Get a heating co. to make sure they run a separate zone for the new add. Its always hard to control the heat on 2 levels with only 1 t-stat.
This discussion has been closed.