Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Singing B&G PRV

Big Ed_4
Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
You may have a system hum and it may not be the PRV. The noise could be caused by a toilet and the noise could be transmitted to another location. Sort of like the paper cup and string walkie talkies we made as a kid. A water hammer with multible on and offs cause the pipes to sing ...

Sometimes a domestic expandtion with a tank charge not matching a system pressure could cause the same noise. I don't know why but seen it a few times.

Try shutting off supplies and see if noise stops to find the culprit ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Never ran into this before

I have a B&G pressure reducing valve on a steam system (feed water line to the condensate return tank) that sings, howls, hums or whatever you want to call it. Is this a defective valve or could there be something going on with the water pressure in the house. It's hooked up to a city water system that provides about 50psi.

• I have a B&G reducing valve in a system which also sings. Luckily it is installed in a hot water system, so it only sings on the rare occasion of adding makeup water. Its been doing this for about the last 15 years! Otherwise, the valve works fine without any leakage, so if your valve works ok otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    LOOSE WASHER

could be a loose faucet washer some where connected to the circuit.
  • Bob, you proved my...

Bob, you proved my point that there are two kind of people out there.... one, people wants noise to know its working...other is when's there noise, its gonna break!
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    WHISTLING, HUMMING & HAMMER

I ACTUALLY ENJOY MAKING MY STEAM SYSTEM HAMMER EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. DRIVES MY TENANT INSANE & LETS ME KNOW THAT S**T IS HAPPENING & I AM IN COMPLETE CONTROL !! LOL
  • Heather_5
    Heather_5 Member Posts: 39
    One issue, might be symantics

The B&G valves are more for water...the Hoffman line from ITT is more for steam...if you're running it on a steam system it might not be handling the temperatures/pressures the same way it would on a water system. or maybe the seat isn't closing..which valve do you have? Do you know the model number??
  • Heather_5
    Heather_5 Member Posts: 39
    Sorry 'bout the

double post.
This discussion has been closed.