Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

caleffi Solar flex underground rating

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
Aeroline Terra WP is not yet on their website. I did talk with the factory folks last week at Intersolar 2009, they will add it soon, to their site.

Watts Radiant has in stock a new underground insulated pex that looks like a good product 200F at 80 psi, solid, non crush foam in a double walled jacket. Single or double tube up to 4"! I believe. Possibly it could be used on the return side of solar?? Certainly a nice product for wood and biomass boiler mounted remotely with those large sizes. I understand you can purchase it by ther foot, not just 328" coils, a nice feature.

I think for direct burial underground solar you would want 3/4- 1" of insulation, inside a sleeve that water, rocks, insects, etc could not get to. Copper, with foam and sleeved, possibly pex for the return could be some options.

I've yet to find a "bargin" system for a good waterproofed, long lasting, underground piping. It's not something you want to "do over". or have "leak", thermally speaking a good portion of your BTUs in transit.

Try Rovanco, they will build whatever underground insulated product you can dreram of. Steel, copper, pex, they do all sorts of unique insulated piping. Chicago area I believe.

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• michael_34
    michael_34 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    caleffi Solar flex underground rating

I am wondering if anybody knows and has used this underground. I want to use it in a 3 foot deep trench and 100' foot long. How's the durability with shifting of earth and weight and rocks? Usually I would use 1' soft copper from the collectors.
    Michael
  • bill garnett_2
    bill garnett_2 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    solar flex

Per Caleffi it can be buried, the closed cell insulation is resistent to moisture however they ask that you run the flex in protective plastic pipe (sewer pipe)
  • michael_34
    Options
    bill

where did you read this? I looked on the website and did not see anything.
    Thanks,
    Michael
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    looong

length, watch your pressure drop. The table is in the back of Idronics 3w for pressure drop on 1/2- 1": SF.

I'd sleeve it and also consider some additional r value. Maybe foam around the sleeve. For that distance maybe a 6" sleeve.

Many of the outdoor wood boiler installers spray foam the tube, or sleeve in the trench. TigerFoam sells DIY spray foam kits. Use the closed cell for underground.

One of the other stainless flex tube manufacturers offers an underground product called Terra. Dual pipe and two empty condiuts for wiring.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • michael_34
    Options
    Terra

HR,
    I Googled Terra really did not see what your talking, maybe you have a website?
    I was hoping to use the solar flex like I said in place of 1'' soft copper to lower labor cost. To foam and sleeve the solar flex I would be better off going my original way.
    I want to make these systems more affordable to all people. Not always easy. Any input from you is always welcome and appreciated.
    Michael
  • michael_34
    Options
    I use

1" wall K Flex Eco for underground applications.
This discussion has been closed.