Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to break a cast iron fitting?

Options
Use the new mini sawall with diamond edge blade. Did a job recently and save opening more wall and removing studs.

Comments

• Al Hendrickson_42
    Al Hendrickson_42 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am in the midst of trying to remove a leaky section of 4" cast iron soil stack in my old house. There is one sanitary tee that is in a spot that I can't hit with a hammer, or extract in one piece without taking up an entire hardwood floor. Once its out, replacing it with PVC won't be problem, because the plastic fittings are enough smaller to maneuver in the space, and won't have remnants of pipes sticking out of them. How can I break this up to get it out?

I'm thinking maybe I could borrow a hydraulic porta-power unit and lower a small 10 ton ram into the fitting to jack it apart. Does this make sense?

Anybody have any great experience to share?

Thanks in advance!

Al
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

Is it possible to get a demo hammer into space?
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    replace with iron if possible.

YOU might have to go to floor below & cut open a pocket in wall & snap stack. . then add dutchman piece & new fitting. why not replace with no-hub cast iron. with plastic it will sound like niagra falls every time you flush the closet. and you will not destroy integrity of existing system with mish-mash amatuer job.
  • bob young
    Options
    replace with iron if possible.

YOU might have to go to floor below & cut open a pocket in wall & snap stack. . then add dutchman piece & new fitting. why not replace with no-hub cast iron. with plastic it will sound like niagra falls every time you flush the closet. and you will not destroy integrity of existing system with mish-mash amatuer job.
  • Al Hendrickson_43
    Al Hendrickson_43 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    It's already mostly plastic.

I did cut a hole in the wall in the floor below, and opened up as much of one wall and floor as I could on the second floor. The previous owner had everything in the basement and first floor up to about 7 feet up on the first floor replaced with PVC already and grafted to this original piece of iron with a Fernco. The plumber obviously didn't want to tackle this little gem including a sanitary tee, a closet flange and a street el right at the juncture of the first and second floors and two offset walls. I have a hardwood floor above and kitchen soffits below, and now the last remaining 3' of 100 year old cast iron left in the house is rusted through and is dripping. I don't care if it gets noisy. I just want it fixed. No-hub iron would be ok, but I don't think anybody could reach in to tighten the copuplings . . . but PVC could be glued up right where it is.

Now . . . how to break and remove that leaky fitting . . .
  • Al Hendrickson_43
    Al Hendrickson_43 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I could probably reach it with an automotive air chisel . . . and could free it up somewhat with a chain snap cutter.
  • bob young
    Options

use a torch & burn out joint.
  • KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106
    Options
    grinder

Can you reach it with a grinder?
  • kpc_75
    kpc_75 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    that would...

be my vote. An angle grinder w/ a cutoff wheel.
  • seabee570
    seabee570 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    fitting

get a long star bit 18 inches or longer,if you can fit it,try and brace behind fitting with smmall blocks of wood or brick,or patio stone and use a hammer to hit it.you only need an inch or so opening
  • Alan Hendrickson_3
    Alan Hendrickson_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll try a long star drill, or maybe weld an extension shaft on a cold chisel and try to break it up. I could get in there with a small angle grinder too, to notch it a bit before I try to split it.

Or maybe a Hilti hammer drill might do the trick with the right bit.

I think I'm going to hire a plumber friend to do the actual replacement part, and maybe to run some new copper water lines up to the second floor while the wall is open, but I'd like to have most of the grunt work and cleanup done before he gets here. I'm pretty good at grunt work.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    Be Careful Al

too much vibration or shaking of the stack could damage some of the other old pipes.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • seabee570
    seabee570 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    fitting

get a long star bit 18 inches or longer,if you can fit it,try and brace behind fitting with smmall blocks of wood or brick,or patio stone and use a hammer to hit it.you only need an inch or so opening
  • Alan Hendrickson_4
    Alan Hendrickson_4 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    OK

Thanks! I plan use a snap (chain) cutter to cut loose the part that needs removal before I start wailing on it. In fact, there is about a foot of iron pipe above and below it that I'll take out. Plus I plan to support the stack above it with a steel hanger fastened to the joists . . . just to make sure it doesn't come crashing down.
  • Alan Hendrickson_4
    Alan Hendrickson_4 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Me? I'm in Wisconsin.
  • Al hendrickson_44
    Al hendrickson_44 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    All Done, thanks!

Thanks again for all the advice!

I opened up a couple of walls and made up a riser clamp from a steel bar and a big U-bolt and supported the upper part of the stack. On Friday, the plumber/friend came over. I'm an engineer who grew up working in an industrial maintenance machine shop, so I'm fairly handy, and the plumber is still just a one-man shop, so he didn't mind having an extra set of hands.

We used a Sawzall, and a variety of hammers, long chisels, and pry bars to break the cast iron into small enough chunks to extract between the joists. What finally did the trick was that I drilled a 1" hole through the floor in a place that the toilet would cover afterward, and used it to insert a chisel and chop off the branch of a tee. The whole job, including replacing everything with PVC took just under three hours . . . but the plumber is 20 years my junior and doesn't need to take as many breaks as I do. (His day will come.)
This discussion has been closed.