Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

20 years for me

John Starcher_4
John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
...a non smoker for two months now!!!!!!!!

Comments

• 20 years for me

Today, it'll be 20 years that I smoked that last cigerette... about the rest of you?
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Don't remember.....

the exact date, but it has been at least 30 years for me.

Best decision I ever made. Being in construction and exposed to the by products, (concrete dust, asbestos, etc) add in smoking and you are almost assured some form of lung disease in the future.

Good topic,

Jim
    Jim Bennett
  • ScottTT
    ScottTT Member Posts: 5
    smokes

7 years this past Feburary for me, never thought I could do it,but I'm glad I did
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787

It will be 10 years this December for me. Still crave em on cold mornings on the job site though.
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 717
    good for you ray

it's been a bit more than that for me, but what i want to know is why do almost all welders smoke? it's not like they don't get enough smoke from the job........

Larry
  • thanks Larry

Thanks, Larry.. Back then, they said its was 'manly' to smoke.. Now how manly they look with wearing o2 tank strapped to themselves?
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

4 years or so and really, really miss it. when a smoker walks past, I think it smells delicious still. Maybe with time...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Keith_8
    Keith_8 Member Posts: 399
    quit

It's been 8 years this time.

The 1st month was difficult. After that it was thought that came and went every so often. If you can resist that temporary urge you have it beaten.

I smoked for 18 years, quit for 5,started smoking again for 5 years and quit for the last 8 years.

Don't miss them one bit, I know I gave myself some lung damage because I get some shortness of breath at times. Nothing serious but I still kick myself for being so stupid. It's one thing if we didn't know any better but to smoke in the last 20 years with all of the information on the long term health risks is stupid.

Nothing to gain and everything to lose.

Keith
  • gerry gill_2
    gerry gill_2 Member Posts: 29
    12 years

and don't miss them at all..nothing like coughing so hard i threw up on my dashboard while driving..yuk..disgusting..threw them out the window and never smoked them again.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • TJ_5
    TJ_5 Member Posts: 71
    11+ years for me

Still consider myself a smoker who is not smoking right this minute. really miss it from time to time
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

I only smoked in 5th grade, so it's been about 38 years.

What I can't believe is the number of health care professionals that smoke. You'd think they'd know better. Danbury Hospital (CT) is not only no smoking in their buildings, but also on any of their properties. Of course, that means people are across the street, in the rain, smoking.
  • Bruce Marshall
    Bruce Marshall Member Posts: 37
    34 years today

I remember it like it was yesterday. July 20, 1975. I was in a sailboat in Boston harbor at 9:00 AM. A wave washed over the bow and landed in my shirt pocket which contained my cigarettes. Since I was the only one on the boat who smoked, I was forced to go without all day until the boat docked at 8:00 PM. As I was driving to the nearest store to get a fresh pack, I had a life alterning epiphamy. I had gone 11 hours without a smoke...how much longer could I go before I caved in. It became a test of will power which I am happy to say I won.
  • smoked for 26 years...

have not had a cigarette in over 12 years...

Tried one about 6 years ago and could not stand the taste on the first drag and threw it away.

Today I really enjoy an occasional fine cigar :-)

(yes I inhale, but just a little)

wheels
  • Jim_139
    Jim_139 Member Posts: 61
    41 years and counrting

I quit permanently 41 years ago, shortly after being discharged from the Army. I was used to a regular paycheck and 12 cent packs. Sticker shock and no income persuaded me it wasn't a good habit to keep. I never could stand the smell of second hand smoke, even my own.

My wife smoked until about 25 years ago then finally quit. Our kids were always on her and promised they would never smoke if she quit. Unfortunately they both picked up the habit. My son has pretty well quit now.
  • Joe_149
    Joe_149 Member Posts: 3
    smokers

I work with fellows (smokers) that will argue with me til they are blue in the face that there is nothing wrong with smoking nor second had smoke.

They'll call me a pussy for opening the window when we are traveling along and they have to light up. Their vehicles smell like ashtrays and you smell just like it when you exit the vehicle!

Ask them to open a window so the smoke will exit, and they'll just barely crack it~ like they can't stand to lose any of that valuable smoke. I don't care if it is freezing and the wind is howling, I'll open every window I can reach and we'll play freeze-out if I have my way about it.

I grew up with smoking parents- the Camel no-filter type. I remember as a kid laying on the couch watching TV (Jackie Gleason) covering my head with a pillow so I couldn't smell the smoke floating in the room like a fog and my dad scolding me for doing it- more or less saying I was overreacting! That was back in 1960's.

He quit cold turkey twenty years later and never looked back. They killed my mom.....she quit the hard way.

I still hate cigarettes. I never tried them and never wanted to.

The way I see it, women think they can smoke to squash their hunger so they won't eat and get fat.

Men, I am not sure about. I think they start smoking so they'll look cool, then they can't quit. I am sure it is hard to quit. I can't make myself quit drinking Pepsi.....

A friend of mine told me that a carton of Marlboro cigarettes was nearly a hundred dollars, now. Not high priced enough in my estimation.

The high price of cigs has created a big market for the el-cheapo varieties. They must be made from the sweepings off the floor in the cig factory. They are the most foul smelling things. More like a stench than a smell. I went out to our local VFW hall (where they have Bingo) for an estate auction the other day and the stale cigarette smell about knocked me down when I walked into the room. You'd never catch me in there during bingo time. I bet you could cut the smoke with a knife!

This discussion has been closed.