Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Deadline for NABCEP application today

Options
michael_34
michael_34 Member Posts: 304
For you solar folks. National certification test is in September. Mine is in.
I would love some study tips for this and maybe some how study together via the internet for the folks taking the test. Pretty laborious application. Man!
Peace
Michael

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,208
    Options
    a funky test

in my opinion. Very little to do with "practical" solar experience. It's more about memorizing formulas, tank capacity, lag bolt shear, ladder carring capacity, sizing pool pumps for direct solar.

Many of the questions have multiple correct answers, you need to determine which THEY think is the best answer. Good luck. Use the response sheet they give you to contest the ones you think are too abitrary.

The best study materials are the ones they list, mostly FSEC info as I suspect Tom Lane had a lot to do with the test :)

I suggested they give the applicants a table full of tools and parts if they really are testing installer skills. The formulas are easily found on your computer or cell phone, I really don't see a need to memorize formulas these days to prove your installation skills.

In the years they have been testing solar thermal installers they have about 90 certified across the country. At that rate it make take decades to certify enough installers to meet the demand.

The PV test looks pretty tough. They take the test the same day as the thermal installers and have a table top covered with codebooks for reference.

See you there.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Royboy
    Royboy Member Posts: 223
    Options
    hr

does that mean it's "take 2"?

still don't have my experience documentation all in place, but your description of test content doesn't inspire me much

Roy
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    memorizing formulas

even einstein did not memorize formulas, saying his brain had more important things to do than simple rote memorization!--nbc
  • michael_34
    michael_34 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Hot Rod

Where you taking the test?
    Man,
    There has to be a better system than this. Sorry won't beat an old drum that we beat before.
    Well if you have any other study tips, please pass them on.
    thank you
    Michael
This discussion has been closed.