Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wall behind recessed radiator

Options
Tim Smith_9
Tim Smith_9 Member Posts: 7
...that old fiberboard behind the radiator could contain asbestos.

Comments

• Lala
    Lala Member Posts: 2
    Options
    wall behind recessed radiator

Our 1936 house has recessed cast iron radiators on the first floor. Since we moved in last year, I have noticed that they emit a musty smell (especially in warm, damp weather when moisture would presumably condense on cool surfaces) and tracked it to the wall behind the radiators. When I went to try to clean back there, I realized that someone had installed some kind of insulating board behind the radiator, in front of the original wall. It's basically an absorbent material, so it's probably full of mold (it's completely black). I assume that they installed because there was originally no insulation in the wall behind the radiators. It's not very securely installed--it moved when I poked it.

I would like to get rid of that smelly insulation material. My two questions:

1. any tips on pulling out the recessed radiators? I don't think they've been removed in a long time. Should they come out fairly easily?
    2. If I remove the insulation, what should I replace it with?

Thank you!
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
    recessed radiator

if its a steam radiator you just need to disconnect at the union if its a hot water radiator you need to have someone drain down the system before removing the radiator yes you should put something behind the radiator i would suggest some insulated panel covered with tin foil ata minimuim
  • Lala
    Lala Member Posts: 2
    Options

Yikes, hadn't thought of the asbestos possibility. Thanks. If you have any advice about what should my next step be, please let me know.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yikes

If you listen to everyone about asbestos, you`ll likely need to purchase a space suit from NASA.
    The insulating-board your describing sounds like "black-joe",,, still very common on construction sites. ;-)

Dave
This discussion has been closed.