Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

breaking up a steam system

jimmac
jimmac Member Posts: 48
have performed this many times for various customers.Take your time as bob said figure it out. buildings were warehouse that became lofts with one owner who subleased and and rented the new 4000 square foot lofts risers were boxed front and rear exposerures with massive ceiling height.some of the wall rads were just massive pipe runs. removed cut and capped. we did do individual units for what ever unit was renovated with exposed cast iron elements artsy ny'ers.the enormous arco that still sits in basement was worked on to accomdate new load its got to go soon "but it still works fine" pays for all commercial heating and older tenants.units were installed in the new mechanical room in there own apartments. cellar basement loading dock first floor second then fifth,seventh and ninth are steam in one building.It works but this particular building had good layout non intrusive to rest of building and exposed piping were to stay

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    steam system

I am presently looking at a 6 unit condo/building to address there heating needs..The problem is nobody is on the same page..Existing is a beautiful one pipe steam system that has been negelected, it needs a new boiler and lots of pipe repairs...next problem, some owners want to have there own seperate hot water heating systems others want to stay with steam, so they want me to remove some rads and not others. I say no, as It will become a nightmare....I fefuse to split up the system..I say its all or none. was wondering if youz guys agree with me...Thanks J A
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    steam system

I am presently looking at a 6 unit condo/building to address there heating needs..The problem is nobody is on the same page..Existing is a beautiful one pipe steam system that has been negelected, it needs a new boiler and lots of pipe repairs...next problem, some owners want to have there own seperate hot water heating systems others want to stay with steam, so they want me to remove some rads and not others. I say no, as It will become a nightmare....I fefuse to split up the system..I say its all or none. was wondering if youz guys agree with me...Thanks J A
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    plan ahead

it could probably be done if you develop a thorough game plan. off season is the correct time frame. do not rush it.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    This would be a great place

to use an outdoor-reset control like Tekmar's 279 or 269, and thermostatic radiator valves on the radiators. This would establish a maximum temperature in the building but give tenants some control over their own apartments.

Doing it this way would keep all combustion-related equipment in the basement, where it could be kept secure so it would not be tampered with, and would have less of an impact if there were a CO, puffback or other problem. It would also make all such equipment available for servicing without having to go into tenant spaces.

Keep the steam. For an example of a well-operating system, follow the Find a Professional link at the bottom of this post.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.