Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Increase

Options
EricAune
EricAune Member Posts: 432
This "over capacity" issue could be a positive for the end user if the utility company would create a co-op buying program.

They have more energy than they can use, therefor they want to charge more to hedge losses on the market.

They could sell "blocks" of energy to the customer at a lower rate to produce usable income today. All the while the end user saves.

This is done in the propane market, it would allow for a slimmer operating procedures through engineered production based on demand.

just a thought, I'm sure they have thought of much better solutions, the easiest is for them to ask for more $$.

Peace

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=589&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Options
    Increase

With the increased conservation by residential consumers and less demand due to the economic slowdown We Energy here in the Milwaukee area is asking for a 7% rate increase.

They want to charge us more for using less. They have too much generating capacity and have over built their facilities. When they wanted to build the new coal fired unit south of Milwaukee they never factored in the slowdown or conservative minded consumers.

Where is the incentive to conserve or go green when this happens???
  • EricAune
    Options
    Devils advocate

Conserve even more to offset the increased rates.....

Peace

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• Unknown
    Options
    I hear ya Rich,

the fat-cats just keep gaining weight, no matter what anyone does!
    Conserve more?,, huh, they always laugh all the way to the bank. ;-)

Dave
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Options
    How Does..........

That bring in more operating revenue for the utility??? They also have a glut of natural gas which also is in a depressed market.

Any other business would have to scale back or downsize, not this utility.Simply ask the Public Service Commission for a rate hike. We have had a very cool summer thus far also (low A/C usage)
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    This has happened before

I think Mike Theis posted a year or so ago that they tried to do this in Missouri. Not sure how it played out.

The utility's fatcats probably want to preserve their obscenely excessive bonuses. If you still have newspapers worthy of the name in your area (we no longer do in Baltimore), they might be interested in digging into this- unless the utility owns them too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options

Did you read this one, from Dan's latest news letter.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/06/30/a-tale-with-a-happy-ending.html
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Options
    A New Power Line

To the Twin Cities (How is the power over there?) Or electric cars coming on line. Off peak power programs could be used more also.More church steeples lit up 24/7 ?

It is my understanding that coal fired boilers used in power plants can only be throttled down so far. Where as the natural gas power plants can be throttled down according to load.(makes sense)

There is still far too much energy going to waste as the new power plant uses Lake Michigan as a heat dump instead of using cooling towers

Bottom line is why we should pay for less usage ?
  • EricAune
    Options
    Power here is fine

We've got the nuclear plant just north west of the cities. Just changed four coal plants to natural last year.

I watched a story on the news two nights ago about a 123MW wind farm proposed for southern MN that is strictly for Wisconsin. There are considerations to up it to something like 430MW.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=819190

I guess the only thing us little guys are gonna do about this is pool our money and invest in the power generators. We can't and wont make any money buying it from them....maybe we should be on the other side of the windmill blades.

Peace

• Tekkie
    Tekkie Member Posts: 58
    Options

When the weather gets warmer; which it will - global warming and all.... They can sell it on the open market and states like California will gobble it up. PA is going to deregulate rates and the utilities are stating a 20% increase at this time. Maybe invest in energy futures? where is my Enron stock now?
This discussion has been closed.