Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you remove air plugs from old cast-iron steam rads?

Options
Mitch_6
Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
Heat them with a torch to expand them, then they cool and come out easy as pie.

Soaking in penetrating oil for a while is a good second.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=388&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mike K_11
    Mike K_11 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    How do you remove air plugs from old cast-iron steam rads?

I have old one-pipe steam rads throughout my house. Most of the rads have just one air vent. However, many of the rads have small, square-headed plugs screwed into additonal air-vent holes, which I would like to remove so that I can add additional air vents. I have tried vice grips, etc., but can't budge them.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Before you do that

have you made sure your steam mains are properly vented?

In a one-pipe system, the water flows back down the pipe against the incoming steam. If you over-vent the radiator, the steam may move fast enough that the water can't drain back. This will cause banging.

If only some of your radiators are slow, I bet they're the ones furthest from the boiler. A large vent at the end of the steam main will get the steam to all the radiator runout (branch) connections quickly and evenly. Then the radiator vents have much less work to do.

If your steam mains don't have vent connections at the ends, a knowledgeable pro can drill and tap to install main vents.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Plugs

The plugs your trying to remove. Are they in/near the top? If you read the art of steam heat. It's a bad location for a steam vent. As mentioned before get your steam mains vented properly and you won't need more venting on the radiators. You can get the vent sizing chart from this site. It's made myself and my customers very happy. With even temperatures throughout the house and lower energy bills.
    Mark
This discussion has been closed.