Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra tarp insulation for under slab

Options
Bob Gordon
Bob Gordon Member Posts: 8
Try this product. This is truly a r9 factor

www.crete-heat.com

Comments

• jim_180
    jim_180 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    insul tarp

I am in the process of building a 1900 sq.ft slab with radient tubing. I have used 2" blueboard in the past but my designer/engineer sugested using Insul tarp. I have reasearched online and have read post saying how wonderful it is but also that the manufacturer has been sued by the FTC for posting a mialeading r value of 9 and above, when test have shown that it is only about 2.75. I have priced it and found it to be sugnificantly less money then the riged foam. i am afraid you get what you pay for so if anyone has used the product or has any insight I would be greatful.
  • k_2
    k_2 Member Posts: 26
    Options

stick with foam
  • Unknown
    Options

insultarp and any other product relying on "reflection" under a slab is total junk.
  • kpc_75
    kpc_75 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Better to pay now.....

than be paying for it for the rest of you life in heating bills....kpc
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Tried it once

I installed tubing on a job where the owner spec'ed this stuff out. I would never use it on another job again. Foam is much easier, faster and has a reliable R-value rating.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    Options
    Ever saw this?

Insul-Tarp, bubble foil,,, same thing.
    I URGE you,, do what the others have said!

This was written by Mark Eatherton.

Dave
  • KevinCorr
    KevinCorr Member Posts: 106
    Options

Also I assume you are not forgetting the slab perimeter, horizontal radiation. I see it is neglected quite often.
  • Don Regan
    Don Regan Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Crete-Heat

Our 2" is an R-10

The 1" is an R-6

Thanks Bob, I'll need to stop up and see you again.
  • Scott OB
    Scott OB Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Crete Heat

I used Crete Heat in my garage and couldn't be happy with the product.It is so easy to lock the tubing in to.
  • Chris S
    Chris S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    insulation

The last roll of insultarp I had - had R-10 printed on the label. When I went online last week to look up tech. data what I read was " Thermal Break" which is more accurate.
    We are bidding a firehouse, and a commercial fabrication shop. The archictect for the firehouse soecified insultarp, the other projects architect is concerned about the insulation under their floor which will have very heavy loads on it. They are asking us what to do. I have used crete heat and like it, and I see the compressive strength values on their spec page.
    Has anyone come up against this before, and what was the answer
    Thanks, Chris
  • radmix
    radmix Member Posts: 194
    Options
    insulation under concrete

I was on a project at a commercial airplane hanger where they used 2" of foam under pour. I have been back several times to the hanger over the years and the concrete is perfectly fine with several commercial planes parked on it.
  • Dick_3
    Dick_3 Member Posts: 60
    Options

What if the concrete guy, engineer, and/or architect wants to install rebar on rebar chairs before the concrete is poured, how does this situation work with the crete-heat insulation? We'd usually install the PEX on top of the rebar. Just curious how Crete-Heat insulation works out if rebar w/ chairs are used.
  • kpc_75
    kpc_75 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    if that...

was the spec the creteheat would be a waste of money.
  • jim_180
    jim_180 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Crete heat and rebar

I spoke with the manufactures just today and they said to place the chairs for the rebar and or wire mesh on top of the crete board.
This discussion has been closed.