Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Panel Radiator's

kpc_75
kpc_75 Member Posts: 37
are there special adapters.. avaialble in many inlet sizes. No need to rev and ret. w/ manifolds. another nice feature.

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Panel Radiators

Looking for some opinions on installing panel rads, brands, types, prefered piping methods, types of tubing perfered, pex or pex-al-pex tubing? Why you like one brand more than the other. In regards to sizing for indivudial rooms can you use a heat loss program like Slant Finns and size your panel rads like you would Fin Tube for each room's heat loss? Any thoughts would be much appriciated, thanks
  • kpc_75
    kpc_75 Member Posts: 37
    I have only

really used the Buderus panel rads. .. done some Runtall onees but the $$$$ puts them out of range.
    I actally like a home run style set up. You run a 1/2" or even 3/8" pex supply and return line to each rad from a manifold(s) This allows perfect balance and snaking the pex is quick and easy.
  • MikeyB
    panel rads

Thanks KPC, I would have thought the Buderus would be more money, What size are the inlet/outlet on the Buderus panel rads? I think the Runtel is 1/2" npt. The home run system seems like the best way to go, would you do reverse return on you manifolds?
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Bud

rad's are surprisingly reasonably priced :)

Like kpc, I would run home runs from a manifold, with PAP. I would reverse return the connections at the manifold (first out, last back).

When you order the rad's you choose what fitting adapter you need based on what pipe you are doing. Generally they are all 1/2" whether it's 1/2 sweat, or 1/2" PEX. Look at the choices at order time. I usually end up sweating my 1/2" PAP fittings in. If you are doing home runs, the diverter is not needed.
  • MikeyB
    rads

Thanks for you imput Bob, I was leaning more toward the pap as well, would it really make much ofa differance if I used 1/2" pap over 3/8"? Since I already have a 1/2 viega hand press
  • MW_2
    MW_2 Member Posts: 25
    panel radiators

I have used Veha panel radiators on several jobs and in my personal home- very happy with the performance and price. This link should take you there.

http://www.veha.com/welcome.html
  • MikeyB
    panels

Thanks MW, i'm going to look into them.
  • Bob Bona_4
    not too much

What's your largest rad output?

I'm all about 3/8 regular PEX for joist radiant panels for ease of lacing it through joists, but for panels, I would go for 1/2" PAP for the sake of compatibility, stability, lower head and higher flow rate. Usually it's easy runs from manifold to location.

1/2" Fostapex is a dream to work with in this application.
    This job was Watts stainless manifolds, and I had sweated FP adapters onto the manifold fittings. Panel rads were by Hydronic Alternatives (client choice). The PDB was bolt-on by Watts-really slick.
  • MikeyB
    rads

Looks like my largest heatloss for the biggest room will be around 8,000 btu/hr, will have to do a re-do heatloss when the time arrives. the Viega Fosta looks real nice to work with. Bob do you run on constant circ w/your panel rads being equipped w/thermostatic valves? That seems to be the way to go when using seperate valves on each panel rad, or I guess the other option would be operators on the manifold w/stats in each room, just a bit more labor, thanks again for your time Bob
  • Bob Bona_4
    this one

was non TRV, the client opted for bang bang for now. He was happy to dial in flow rates via the Hydronics Alt. rad valves. It would be sweet converted to TRV though.

Buderus's panels have a simple and inexpensive TRV that virtually clips onto the upper R or L end section.
  • I have Veha panels in my bank in ME

The main floor is 43x38, 14 ft high ceiling. Have 3 on east side and 3 on west side. West is pap with manifold. East is copper, parallel with incrementing pipe size.
    All of them get hot but the pap side is less noisy than the long copper line. Copper looks cleaner as all of this is surface mount.
  • Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    rads

I've used Biasi many times and just used pensotti panel rads for the first time. Most of the them look pretty much alike and mount the same. Manifolds are really good to use also. I have only had one leak out of many installed. Pay attention to the rough in and where the mounting bracketts will go. Don't forget to allow for window trim floor trim etc. A good trick is to drill a 7/8" hole for the supply and return. Install the tubing and than slide over the tubing a piece of 3/4" fosta pex and stick it into the hole. This allows a bit of movement for the final install and the floor and tile guys won't damage them
  • MikeyB
    rads

Thanks guys, I will check out the Biasi & Pensotti as well, looks like the Veha is a nice unit and you can buy directly from their website, It might be a while before I purchase the rads so I will have plenty of time to research different options. Does it make sense to install isolation valve's on the inlet and outlet on the rads if it is going to be piped in a home run style?
  • The Veha

angle valves can be closed. Unscrew the cap, use a hex wrench to adjust flow or close.
This discussion has been closed.