Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam coming from low water blow out

If you opened the LWCO under full system pressure(as you should), steam will most certainly emanate down from the upper connection.<BR>The trick is to <i>give it a full-open blast</i>, then a slight "pull down" <u>while observing</u> the proper function of the control on the boiler.<BR>Have you checked the <i>suggested</i> replacement date of the control?<BR>Sounds like you did the right thing.<BR>PS- Your honesty is well respected here!<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• steam from low water cutoff

i'm a plumber that does not know much about heating(at least i'm honest). i was doing work this past winter and when i tried to show the customer how to drain water from the low water cutoff a little bit of water came out followed by steam. what would cause this and what is the remedy. the wet return had been leaking(that is why i was there in the first place,to replace that section of pipe). thanks in advance
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
    Low water cut off

The lower wet section of the gauge glass assembly could be plugging up, assuming there is a MM 67 float type or alike. Hope the burner also shut off too. If not the unit needs to be service or replaced. Cover your butt on LWCO's

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    lwco steaming

sounds like you and the customer would benefit from a copy of dan's book, "the lost art of steam heating". many mysteries of steam heating systems are made clear and simple in it.

did the burner cut out when you drained the lwco?

is your steam pressure as low as these systems love-8-12 ounces?

if you have dirty water, inside the boiler, you could have violent surging which could leave the upper port of the lwco exposed to steam--see "skimming" [do a search using the upper orange banner button]--nbc
This discussion has been closed.