Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cut legs?

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
well, I have a real tight situation where I have no access to the pipes, and the new valve is about 3/8" shorter than the old one. (one pipe steam) The supply will not move, or raise at all. Can't set the rad into the floor because already settled down a bit. Don't want to chance cranking on the old riser with no wrench on the 90. Would one dare cutting 3/8" off the legs of the rads carefully?

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• an old wrench puller
    an old wrench puller Member Posts: 73
    Extention coupling

Sounds like a place to try an "extension coupling" although; it will likely take off more than 3/8" If it does, raise the radiator with some large washers or something similar. By the way, an extension coupling is a male x female coupling. Very short. Back when I did radiator work, I found them indispensable. Probably hard to find today.
  • kevin_58
    kevin_58 Member Posts: 61
    raise valve

you could use 2 street 45s and roll them to make the rad closer or farther from the wall to get perfect height. Its not the best looking but works.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Kevin got it right

Kevin's solution is the correct answer. it will give you a positive 100 % connection. extension cplg. are readily available in the nyc area & i have used them a million times but they are not always the correct choice. a fraction of an inch can seem like a yard if its going against your goal.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Timco

Many years ago we converted a steam system into a hydronic system in a post office. We had to order in military spec control valves. They were all about 3/8 " short like your situation.

We were lucky that they were all 1 1/2 & 1 1/4" risers. We scratched our heads until my oldest brother suggested brass Marvel connectors. They worked perfect as a slight thread extender. No leaks either. Try one if you are dealing with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 (Female trap adapters or Marvels)

If it happens to be 1" maybe a 1" eccentric coupling would work.

Good luck!

Rich K.
  • Dan Sedens
    Dan Sedens Member Posts: 48
    Cutting Legs

I don't know if there is any reason not to do it. I have cut the feet off of steam and hot water radistors as much as 1/2" with no problems. The legs do not know the difference as they are not on the wet side of the system. Just be careful on the measurements. Again, I don't see any reason why you can't do it, and have done it a number of times myself. Others may have different opinions.

Dan
  • Ken Sappio
    Ken Sappio Member Posts: 16
    Don't cut the legs...

cutting the legs will take away from the style of the radiator. I don't believe in modifing something especially of such vintage as an iron radiator, it is much better to find a workable solution like the ones mentioned in the other postings.
  • Timco

Can anyone suggest a part number and supplier for extension clpgs? They are not offered here in SLC. I need two 1" and one 1 1/4". Two 45's are not an option...would really look bad. One pipe steam.

Tim
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    height adjustment

this goes to show that in the case of steam valves..if at all possible repair-do not replace. they should never be used anyway, so what about an elbow instead?--nbc
  • Timco

Would you have a p/n for the marvel ftgs? I will try anything and these sound like a good bet...

Tim
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    cplgs

Tim, go to McMaster-Carr.com, and type in 44605K314,in the item search bar, this is for a 1" bl extension coupling, search the other pages to try and locate a 1 1/4" cplg, i did not see it.. You can order today and have tomorrow, i order from them all the time
  • Tim,

these couplings you seek seem to have different names depending on the supplier.
    Perhaps you can find something here.
    Good Luck old friend :-)

Dave
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

Tim, Nipple extentions will add too much to the length of the nipple. Use an angle grinder and a cut off disk. No one will ever notice 3/8 of an inch.

One other thing, use that string stuff on the threads. It might tighten a couple of threads sooner and might just give you the 3/8".

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.