Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mount solar panels to Sip's

Bigheadtodd_2
Bigheadtodd_2 Member Posts: 12
Any solar Pros out there that can give me some ideas on best way to mount solar panels to a SIP's panel roof? Would like to mount two 4X8 panels. I would normaly do 2X8 backing underneath plywood roof were the mounting brackets go, drive 3/8 stainless steel lags through top and bottom mounting brackest. Cant do that with the SIP's bunch of foam in the way.

Any recomendations? thanks in advance BHtodd

Comments

• Justin Topel
    Justin Topel Member Posts: 65
    Two options

I have heard of from another installer who did a good amount of SIP roofs. One is to have a custom fabricated steel plate that has enough holes to permit enough screws to be directly attached to the plywood. If you have an area that can be penetrated, you can have a large steel plate on the bottom that is attached with stainless all-thread. A good source to check, if you already hadn't yet, is the SIPS manufacturer. They may indeed have an approved design. If not ask if they are willing to address that since solar is going to be more frequently used in the near future. As with any design, make sure you have it reviewed by a licensed structural engineer prior to install. Good luck with this and let us know how it turns out.

Mister T
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    a very large toggle

just kidding!.

Is the bottom side finished ceiling?

Sometimes those panels have blocks where the seams go together. You may have to unistrit, or t-slot across several of those blocks.

Some areas are getting away from lags into rafters or blocks, you may need to use all thread next to one of the blocks.

Panels mounted on legs tend to have more of a wind loading than those right down on the roof pitch. 64 square feet is a lot of sail area. There are some engineers in Florida that design ballasted systems for that hurrican wind area, maybe they would have ideas. Will the AHJ require an engineered design?

I'd agree with getting a reccomendation from the panel manufacturer, in writing.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Gates_4
    Steve Gates_4 Member Posts: 9
    one of the problems

with sips... OSB.. screws don't hold to well in OSB.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,500
    I did this...

... by lagging floor flanges over/into the truss-joists that run between panels. It would depend on the wind load you anticipate.

Yours, Larry
  • Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    solar on a sip roof

use standing seam metal roof, then mount collectors via S-5 clamps.
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Velux

I have only seen ads, but these collectors seem like they would mount nicely if the roof pitch is right.
This discussion has been closed.