Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WTB: 72\" Pipe Wrench

makes is 60".

Comments

• Michael Wilson
    Michael Wilson Member Posts: 46
    Does a 72\" Pipe Wrench Exist?

I'm wondering, does a 72" pipe wrench exist? If so, where could I buy one. Searching online has come up with nothing.

I think it would be a great decoration/conversation piece as well as a functional tool for some unseen project.

Thanks guys!

Mike
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

pickup a compound leverage wrench not sure of the overall size of the wrench but it would definitely make a good wall hanging /conversation piece too big/bulky to carry on a truck /////////////////can be found for $100
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

CHAIN TONGS COME IN THAT SIZE
  • Want to know?

Steamhead or Gordo will know where one can be had.

Dave
  • bob young

RG92660
    SINGLE END 87"OAL $US1,798.41

3215 CHAIN TONG 4-18" PIPE SIZE

Weight: 134.00 lbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Hey bob,

they`re hanging right beside my Toledo`s(well the dies actually) LOL!

Dave
  • bob young
    getting a bit rusty.

MINE IS HANGING IN MY GARAGE. haven't needed it since i did some 5 " hanging soil & drainage galvanized durham system. in a hotel . that was 1974. no-hub put an end to all that jazz.
  • Sorry Double Post.

• Mine too,

remember the "pot & ladle" days?,,,I learned from a Scotsman,, moleskin was what?

Dave
  • bob young
    wiping tools

yeah Dave , i still got some special pre-formed moleskin wiping cloths i got from starbuck in the late seventies. have not wiped a joint in ages but still got all the goodies even chunk resin & warranted bar solder.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    72\" OH Ya

I still have my Dad's old heavy cast Rigid 72 hanging in the tool room beside an old compound leverage and a chain wrench that must be at least 8 or 9 feet long. It has a thread on the round handle where you can attach 2" pipe to extend the handle if necessary. We used to use that for tightening overhead sprinkler mains -- back in the day! I dont know if I could even lift it any more!
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    ?

72"? What's wrong with you? I just use a 10' piece of 2" black pipe on the end of my 24" pipe wrench!?
  • bob young
    strictly UNPROFESSIONAL & ALSO DANGEROUS

that tells us all we need to know about you , bro.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    Seriously ??

are you serious Bob -- i have not met a plumber yet who doesn't have an equalizer in their truck at All times ---albeit not a 10ft piece but at least 3ft long --not many guys carry 3 and 4 footers (the 2ft is perfect for an 1-1/2 pipe equalizer--just square off the end)--and will do most service jobs -----i do carry a 4 ft but i dont use it i do have --a 6",10",14",2-18",2-24 straight 1 trench 24" and a 4ft in the van at All times --i tell you i use the 18 and 24 with equalizers' more than anything else ---i found some nice aluminum conduit thats perfect for an equalizer 2" pipe thats plenty thick enough to handle the job ----3ft long i carry 2
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Dave do you remember the Scotsman's name? My Da was pretty good with wiping joints in his day, probably could still do them today. He used to wipe faucets onto water supplies back in the old country.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • oil-2-4-6-gas

Oh yeah -------- i'm not even a "plumber"
  • bob young
    WHERE IS MAD DOG WHEN YOU NEED HIM.

My friend you are confusing jobbing & repair work with new installation. no one in their right mind would carry anything bigger than a three foot wrench in a jobbing truck. BUT if you are running a hundred foot or better of large size pipe do yourself a favor & buy the proper size wrenches for the job. a two foot with a aluminum extention cheater is standard equipment for the jobbing mechanic. not looking to demeam anyone but lets have a little respect for the craft. we are not bootleggers , I AM SURE YOU GUYS DO ACTUALLY OWN SOME DAMN WRENCHES . THEY LAST FOREVER UNLESS THEY GET LOST OR STOLEN. MAD DOG GOT A THREE FOOT & HE IS SO STRONG HE DON'T EVEN NEED IT. furthermore using levers on any wrench can be risky. but all you master mechanics know that. i rest my case.
  • bob young
    screwing pipe

ya don't have to be a plumber to screw pipe. you can be a steamfitter , pipefitter , millwright , electrician , etc. but do it correctly or you might get screwed. if you are getting paid to do it , do it right.and don't forget the hangers. thats the main thing. proper torque.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Jogged

My memory Mike I remember a job at the State University in Superior WI where we had to install 10" Galvanized. This was in the early 70s.

If you have ever worked with large screwed piping you would not remember it fondly. It is right up there with the 20" poured lead joints. Your post gave me a slight jab in my back. Line up of threads was the tricky part.

Chain wrenches were the tool of choice and you only got one chance to make the thread right.

Nice thread :)
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Dave

When you got to 10" and larger soil pipe you poured with the whole pot. That is when you had to have hooks to lift and pour using the entire pot at one time.
  • bob young
    10 \" pipe is serious

Never worked on 10 " screw pipe but i installed 10 " T.P. COPPER NICKEL PIPE W/ brazed joints . serious business. ya better have a rigger that knows his stuff.
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Memories

I just walked by the 4 footer in the shop today and thought of this thread. I can't ever remember seeing it being used. Never lost one by theft anyway. I also remember watching two of my mentors years ago snap a large pipe wrench in half while using a cheater. That always made me think of using alternative methods. I've never broke one.

Mike

• Michael Wilson

• Michael Wilson
    So I settled on the 60\"

Here's a few pics of the 60" I bought. Its quite impressive, beefy-er than the 48 but not much longer when closed.

I added a 6" wrench for scale... Maybe I should've used an 18". LOL!

Keep an eye out for that 72" in your travels my friends!

Mike
  • Mars_3
    Mars_3 Member Posts: 65
    Dam

Well from the looks of the picts that Will get er done, as they say. Thats some for real tools there.
  • I'm with ya oil246gas

We have wrenches up to 5 foot in the shop . But sometimes you get caught on a job without the big guns .

The biggest I have on the truck is a 2 footer . It's big enough to catch 3 inch nips and maybe some 3 inch fittings . But forget about a 3 inch union .........

We use cheater pipes all the time . You do what you gotta do to get the job done . End of story .
  • tgm
    tgm Member Posts: 25

are you sure thats not just the model number or something? if thats a 60" wrench then you are one TALL fella
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    here's mine

not 72" in long, but still packs some torque! i will use it to take off the caps from the lowest part of the boiler, and hose out the debris. i think it could be better than a very long pipe-wrench, because it should concentrate the turning force ON THE JOINT TO BE LOOSENED, and not on the rest of the pipe. --nbc

http://forums.invision.net/Attachment.cfm?thebeast.JPG&CFApp=2&Attachment_ID=36391
  • mel rowe
    mel rowe Member Posts: 324

Homeowner here. I don't have a long wrench like the pros do. I think whenever I need more torque, I'll just dip my 36 incher in a solution of that product I see advertised on TV all the time----Extenze. I'm sure that will do the trick. LOL
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    good one!!

i think you will now have to fill in for brad white [missing in action] as resident wit, on the wall!
  • Michael Wilson
    naa.... its not 60\" closed

its close to 60" with the jaws open.

60" is what reads on the handle... i'm guessing they rounded up.

I'm definitely liking that compound leverage wrench NBC, its next on my list!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    big one

if you are going to hang that sort of compound wrench on the wall, make sure you have STRONG hangers!!--nbc
  • Mike Miller_2
    Mike Miller_2 Member Posts: 17
    wrenches & Cheaters

I keep a thirty- six inch compound on my truck for servcing older systems, most guys only know sawzall and dresser these days, also have a special order 14" compound, I do alot of work on older systems and the 14" comound will break a joint that two wrenches won't. In 1977 the first pipe based job I had was working on work over rigs in the wyoming oil field. Had an operator that was a tough old bird, the job must go on. Had a small drill out we were doing and rig wasn't set up for the drill collars we were using, so our system to break them loose was a 60" rigid chained to the leg of the rig tower, under the floor and a 48" rigid with a shackle through the eye on the and a rope run aroung the operators station to the cathead, a spinning rope pully powered off of the draworks, the operator was pulling on the rope with a couple of loops around the cathead when the rope looped under itself and sould no longer just ride on the spinning metal but now it had no release. the 48 broke right at the casting for the gesting nut, whipped around the rig and broke this mans ankle. So when you get hurt using a cheater instead of the right wrench, just know whos to blame and it ain't rigid.
  • bob young
    cheaters & cheating

THAT was exactly the point i was trying to express, Mike , when a few of our esteemed brethren jumped all over me. everyone uses a cheater every now & again.....but you could definitely get jammed up & that is no joke. a cheater for a quick repair ..ok but for a project with more than one or two joints ....buy a damn proper man sized wrench. when that dude got his ankle broken ,i am glad i wasn't involved in that one.
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    24 inch

How do you get the jaws of that 24 inch to open arounf a 4 inch pipe?
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    72\"

They used to have a 72 inch Rigid on the wall over at the plumbing supply. You might check with a drilling company if you want a big one for conversation. My cousin had some big Rigid's on the well drilling rig. But I think they were biger than 72 inch. He used a winch to lift them.
  • bob young

we call them the PAUL BUNYAN WRENCHES
This discussion has been closed.