Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relatively new T&P valve leaking

Big Ed
Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
You can try flushing again the way you did .... Still leaks just change the valve.. That what I would do

Comments

• Dan_53
    Dan_53 Member Posts: 20
    Relatively new pressure relief valve leaking

We have an Ergomax reverse indirect tank with a PRV on the top. The valve is only about a year old. I could hear a little air in the tank as we had had some work done recently. As per Ergomax instructions, a I opened the prv slightly to let out the air. Now I have a continuous drip. I'm sure a little something is caught in the seat. Is there any way to flush that out? I tried opening it wide and then closing it. The drip got better, but it is still there. Thanks. The pressure in the tank is way below the trigger pressure.
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    a trick

Try moving yhe lever back and forth(not open and close)about 1/4 to 1/2 rotation as you tap the center pin down lightly with the handle of a screwdriver.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Life is Good !! Enjoy it !!
  • Dan_53
    Do we even need this

valve since we have one on the boiler and the boiler is piped to the Ergomax. When I trip the Ergomax valve, boiler water comes out...wouldn't the boiler valve trip if the pressure in the system got high? Ergomax tank is rated to either 125 or 150 psi. Boiler valve is 30.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

did you think you drink the boiler water?? they are completely seperate systems,with different pressures --the domestic(water at your faucets) is an open system --pressure is above 50 but below 150 the boiler water (a closed system) is under 30 --there is a "radiator" in your Ergomax that heats the water in the tank -they are seperate -
    -you Absolutely need an operational relief valve on both your heating appliance and "water heater" ------
    if you do a search on Mythbusters -search for the water heater episode and you will seee why it is imperative for you to have an operating relief valve on the tank -IF NOT YOU RUN THE RISK OF DEATH OR at the least SERIOUS PROPERTY DAMAGE ------------- open and close the valve to clear the seat,or tap on it to stop the drip , Or replace the valve
  • The few Ergomax indirects I've seen

had a boiler relief valve AND a T&P relief on the tank . I'll guess that the extra relief is required .

It's what's called a reverse indirect . Boiler water is stored in the tank and domestic water is heated through a bundle of coils inside the tank . So that extra boiler water relief valve is a good idea .

But you said the T and P valve is leaking after only a year ? It's the one that's rated for 150 psi ? Do you have a domestic expansion tank on your system somewhere ?
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 764

The water in the tank is boiler water, not potable water. There probably is a code reason to have a relief valve on that tank. It is common for valves to leak when you test them if they have not been tested for long periods of time. They are inexpensive. Just replace it. I wonder if there should be an air vent on the top of this tank?

Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman
  • On my E44 Ergomax,

the T&P's started leaking at a year. A dishpan fixed it.
  • Dan_53
    Oops....

Sorry. I meant the 30 psi pressure relief. Not the 150psi t & p valve for the dhw.
This discussion has been closed.