Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My old mechanical engineer friend is passing.

Options
tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
**** Stern, one of the nicest people I have ever met is making his way to the other side. It makes me sad. **** is 97, was still practicing hydronic and steam design at 90 until he took a fall and blinded him in one eye. He was designing some of the systems that we all look back on and say wow how did they do that back then. If I remember right he started doing heating mechanical design around late 1937 in Chicago for Carrier then Spokane Wa around 1939. He was still working on some smaller commercial jobs in 2003/2004. I consider him to be an Icon around here and I respect him as a proffesional and am pleased to call him a friend. He is the most non judgemental down to earth person I know. Him and his buddy Dan Healy, both PEs, were in this little shack of an office here in Seattle up until about ****'s fall. They both were near the same age and were still doing engineering because they loved it. I just wanted to say a little about **** because he helped change hydronic and steam design over the years and made our world a better place. Peace all. Tim

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bless his heart...

And bless your heart for mentioning him and recognizing his contributions to man kind... An old Irish saying comes to mind...

May the road rise to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.
    And rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.

May you live as long as you want,
    And never want as long as you live.

God rest his soul. May he pass in peace.

ME
  • bobbyg_17
    bobbyg_17 Member Posts: 9
    Options

thanks for sharing. sounds like a wonderful man. We should all be so lucky to know someone like that (or try to be someone like that!). sending good thoughts your way! God Bless.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    One of the Great Ones

**** has been a good friend over the years. I met him when I first moved to Seattle and worked with him several times on both steam and HW systems. He was open to the changes in technology over the past years and always shared his vast knowledge.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    See attachment from the ASHRAE local for write up on him

This discussion has been closed.