Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gasification Gurus and Storage

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,189
the heat load at design
the boiler output at high fire (does the boiler have a variable speed fan to modulate?)
how the heating distribution is zoned
how often you are at design condition
The buffer can act as a storage to get through hours or days without burning.

And, or it can server to buffer if the boiler exceeds the loads, to prevent over heating

Go to pmmag.com and look in the archives for Siggy's Mixing Wood with Water. It show a formula for determining buffer size based on loads, coast time, etc.

I would look at a minimun of 350 to 500 gallons, well insulated of course.

For pressurized tanks many use large LP tanks as they are ASME listed pressure vessels. If you go with a used one Oxyclean will wash out the odorant smell.

You can buy or build un-pressurized tanks and load copper coils for HXers. Flat plate HXers work well also.

Some sort of primary secondary piping is most flexible. Be sure to include a means to bypass the storage to get heat quickly to the zones or indirect.

Always include return temperature for the boiler. The new delta T circs are great for that purpose, more efficient than three way thermostatic mixers.

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    Options
    Looking for contractors with gasification and storage knowledge

I was hoping I could pick someone's brain on the idea of storage with a gasification boiler. If I could talk to you on the phone that would be great! (Slow typer)

Thanks,

Rob Blair
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    suggestion

Try going over to www.hearth.com boiler room forum and do some searching. They are fanatical about gasifiers with storage.

Mike

• Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    check out

Bioheatusa.com

I recently installed one for a customer. They are quite happy.

Solo 40 and 800 gallon storage.
This discussion has been closed.