Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GreenHouse Solar Tax Incentives

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 21,975
the Federal rebate does cover thermal solar installations, I'm not sure they ask what the system is used for. It's about 40 pages of documents to read through, and it has changed once or twice.

I wonder if solar is part of a $50,000.00 radiant system, does that whole amount qualify for the 30% ?

Or are you talking about passive solar?

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• GreenHouse Solar Tax Incentives

Are the federal tax incentives/rebates for solar, applicable to greenhouses?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Not Passive

I'm talking about thermal solar delivered by radiant. larry Drake wrote that in the 70's the radiant was included for tax rebates, if it delivered solar energy. Someone else told me that radiant was included also. I mentioned to the editor of PM magazine that having a tax expert write on this would be a good idea. Also if the tax expert could comment on whether or not we can deduct solar installs on our own houses as a business expense. If it were yes on both it would help the solar business tremendously. Maybe you could mention it to him too?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,975
    don't think you can double dip

if you write off the expense as a business deduction I don't think you can also apply for the tax credit. Would you write yourself an invoice for the installed cost?

My bookkeeper and tax guy looked at it and decided which was the better option.

Do you have a tax person or a CPA you could consult? Someone familiar with your exact situation. Solar Today and a few other solar mags have tried to distill that Federal Rebate program. At the end it seems they all encourage you to consult a tax expert in your area familiar with Federal and State programs.

I haven't come across anyone that can fully explain the program. Like site inspections to see if the system actually exists. Makes me wonder how they make determinations at the other end of that IRS form :)

I'd like to see a program that rebates based on energy production or savings from the system. Not just dollars spent. But then data logging gets fuzzy. I think California is pilot programing that concept as we speak.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Triple Dipping Already

In Massachusetts we have MTC incentives, state incentives and federal incentives. Instead of them passing the buck and asking us to consult our tax consultant, someone at the top should make a determination and let us all know. 5 different tax consultants could come up with 5 different answers.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

This discussion has been closed.