Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Indirect Tank?

Options
Tim Weaver
Tim Weaver Member Posts: 49
I'm curious what your opinion is of the stainless steel indirect tanks out there. Some are made out of a passivated 400 series of stainless steel (e.g. Bradford White, Lochinvar Squire), a few others are made out of 316 L, one has a Cupronickel heat exchanger. The Viessmann Vitocell 300 is a hell of a tank but exceptionally pricey.

Are they all pretty good as long as they are S/S? I'm personally a fany however of bottom tappings and no dip tubes to get the cold water in.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,226
    Options
    ask around your area

to see which perform best and last the longest. Plumbers and boiler mechanics generally know what works in their market.

In some areas installers get longer life from glass lined steel tanks.

Water quality has a part in life expectancy. Have your water tested. Some stainless tanks list a chloride spec in the manual or on the tank. Most tanks have a spec for water hardness and operating temperatures.

Some tank manufacturers offer both stainless and enameled steel in their line.

I prefer a tank with a smooth coil, be it enameled steel or stainless, and lots of square footage of HX surface.

All of the tank brands you mentioned are excellent, and have a good trade following.

Dip tubes are a good thing, some brands have engineered their tube to limit deposits and increase turbulence and tank performance. Unique dip tubes have been a feature on BW tanks for many years. Currently called the HydroJet system.

hr

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Solid advice!

Hot Rod is exactly right. I would hesitate to say there is one tank that is the best for every job. I have yet to say the same about any boiler either.

Peace

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim Weaver
    Tim Weaver Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Perhaps...

I'm asking too much. I appreciate your input, but it has a bit too much of a political ring to it (don't take this the wrong way).

I like durable products that are built with pride, and built to last, that leave little doubt in my mind. I've used Bradford White S/S indirects, which are made out of a 400 series S/S. Pretty popular locally, and reasonably priced for what you get. But there are lots of other manufacturers out there. Some use fiberglass insulation, some use urethane insulation. Some have customization avialble where you can get extra long heat exchangers, some offer Cupronicked heat exchangers.

How would I know if a heat exchanger surface is smooth? I can't reach my hands inside a 3/4" OR 1" tapping, I'd have to take the tank apart. How about things like pressure drop accross the heat exchanger? Or heat transfar ability? Or temperature standby losses? etc. etc. Pride in workmanship? Locally made if at all? Warranty/standing behind work? Included parts (e.g. T & P?)?

• steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Scott, you know what they say opinions are like.
    I your happy with a brand, stick with it, they all store and or make hot water.

As other have mentioned, water quality is the determining factor in longevity as would be proper installation and maintenence practices.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,226
    Options
    All of those questions are

answered at the manufacturers website and in their tech docs. Many show cut away pictures to show the coil and construction details.

ALL will have specs on pressure drop, insulation r-value, HX surface and construction, if you dig around. Same with warranty info (read the fine print) The days of unlimited lifetime warranty are starting to fade.

Sounds like you already know which is the Mercedes of tanks :) Great performance, warranty, look and feel, but it kinda feels like you pay for two tanks on the front end.

You may discover tanks built by one company labeled under a variety of names.

Certainly look for a brand that stands behind their product both at the wholesaler and manufacturer's level.

The way you care for a tank has a lot to do with performance and longevity. Keep them cleaned out, good quality water, and operating temperatures within their limits. Hand hole cleanouts are nice, but only if you use them.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.