Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating the Pool

Rich Ferris
Rich Ferris Member Posts: 72
I have a Buderus G115/4 with Logomatic and S-120 indirect to 2 zones of baseboard.

Rich

Comments

• Rich Ferris
    How do you guys heat your pools?

I'm a heating contractor, Yet my pool is never warm enough for me. I maintain it for my Wife and two young boys but I rarely go in myself because its just not warm enough. We nibbled at putting in a Propane heater (Just like our neighbor)(Identical pool installed by same installer 20 yrs ago for previous owners). I decided last year that I would make a Solar Heater using ABS and making a rack. This helped the Solar Cover but it still didn't do the job, As my Wife kept reminding me. I'm trying to get some creative ideas from you guys since a Heat Pump cost is really up there but less of a hassle than propane.

Thanks,

Rich
  • Just curious Rich,

what kind of system are you using in the house?

Dave
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Questions

What are the dimensions of the pool? Where are you located?
  • Rich

I have one of these maxi-flow units to install this week on his oil fired unit.
    Not sure what will happen to his oil consumption!
    As Andrew mentions, watch your sizing.

Dave
  • Rich Ferris
    Dimensions of Pool

Inground 16' x 32'. 15,000 Gallons. Hartford County-Connecticut
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    250- 350 square feet

of solar collector is a rule of thumb. 50- 70% of the surface area.

The best bang for your bucks would be pool collectors if it is just for summer time use.

Roth, SolarHot and many others have polymer pool collectors available.

RET Screen, a free download, will let you run swimming pool calcs to show you some options.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Oil usage with HX

I have several projects using a HX to heat a pool with an oil fired boiler. The pools account for 50-60% of the oil bill, which is to say the owner can expect to double the cost of the fuel bill to keep the pool at 83 degtrees. Solar pool heating is the wasy to go, as HR said.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

I've also been interested in heating a pool but not with gas or oil.

I've seen this product and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

http://www.sungrabber.net/solar-pool-heater-how-it-works.html

I'm tempted to go Heat Pump, even though the cost maybe more in the onset, I think overall, the savings will be realized quickly.

But I still go back to these panels.
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Heliopool

Same idea with a nice panel. Roth Heliopool
  • dana p._2
    dana p._2 Member Posts: 8
    pool heater

look into a WATERFURNACE poolheater
  • Dom DiMambro
    Dom DiMambro Member Posts: 5
    Heating Pools and Spas

Rich I use a Willmark tube and shell Stainless steel heat exchanger model QHE-35 12 gpm flow on tube circuit 65 gph on shell side 150,000 BTU off the boiler add a zone and control it wihh a Honeywell T775 Ive got some out there since 1996 indoor pools year round operation still performing with no problems

Dom

This discussion has been closed.