Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Working Hard? Hardly Working? (OT)

Monday(for us), is an extra day-off and who couldn`t use-it?<BR>Does anyone else find <i>emergencies</i> like "drippy taps" or "plugged toilets" only come on weekends(after the bars close),, then we never seem to get paid?<BR>I personally think there should be some kind of <b>law</b> in regards to this.<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Oh Ya

I remember the weekend nights on call when someone wanted you to come out to remove dentures from their toilet. I would double the rate and want payment up front. They usually would wait until they sobered up.

The late Saturday calls would often be from an angry wife whose husband attempted to install a faucet and got in over there head.

Could write a book on service calls from a snake coiled around a water heater burner to the parrot that welcomed into a home.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Don't Try This at Home!!

the NYTimes had an article yesterday regarding how people are trying to save money by DIY...and the consequences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/us/17blunders.html?_r=1&em

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Used to

Keep Monday's schedule kind of loose, mostly for DIY'ers
    with aborted projects, with all of the associated wailing and gnashing of teeth that came with them.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,399
    Of course.....after THEY and then Uncle Gus...tried to

fix it....I know, we all get those...make it clear BEFORE you hang up the phone.... Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Holiday week end

Memorial day coming up. ...............

The ones I enjoy the most usually involve holiday week ends, alcohol, brothers-in-law ( or some other relative ) water front property or vacation homes. Makes for some interesting service calls
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    From the other side of the coin...

Dave, I went to friend's cottage up near Peterboro for the long weekend. The owner had a big named pro there replace her propane fired tank type water heater. The water pressure at the cottage comes from a tank that has maybe 20 - 25' of rise above the cottage filled by a gas fired pump, so it's pretty dismal water pressure at best. Still, they sold her a tankless. Furthermore, the installer actually used black iron to tee off for the relief. The pressure drop through the tankless has pretty well killed any chance of having anything but a cold shower, and the kitchen sink will only flow until that black iron rusts itself closed.

This was the first test of the shower for the season... had it been my mother's cottage, I'd have been on the phone expecting someone out there.
  • I`m glad,

you had a good weekend UniR,, and personally I don`t mind doing weekend calls,, but with the following criteria,,,
    #1- It is a real emergency(not a drippy tap) #2- I know who it is. #3- This person is not calling on behalf of the landlord #4- The person is not drunk. #5- Has not had everyone(friends or neighbors) trying to fix it first. #6- And fully understands I WILL be paid if I go out!
  • I`m glad,

you had a good weekend UniR,, and personally I don`t mind doing weekend calls,, but with the following criteria,,,
    #1- It is a real emergency(not a drippy tap) #2- I know who it is. #3- This person is not calling on behalf of the landlord #4- The person is not drunk. #5- Has not had everyone(friends or neighbors) trying to fix-it first. #6- And fully understands I WILL be paid if I go out!
    Perhaps I`m too picky, but if you work overtime at your job do you not expect to get paid?
    I have been burnt too many times by not being careful!

Dave
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589

Number 4 may have ruled all us guys out... LOL

I haven't been paid OT since my early 20s, and never charged anyone for something that wasn't done right.
  • Really??

Never paid overtime?
    Well, if your looking for that kind of an income you should try going into biz for yourself & adapting my criteria, otherwise you may die tired & broke!

PS- I don`t recall starting this post about workmanship!

Dave
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    You always get

Those customers that EVERYTHING is an emergency. My thermostat is off by 5 degrees, my water isn't quite hot enough, i hear a beeping noise, which is the dying battery in the smoke detector, and so on. If it's not relevant to work you JUST did, you gotta get paid. I would never play down an oil leak or srong odor, but a phone call to the customer will bring it all out in the wash. peace
  • Your right Bill,,,

and I forgot to mention "no-heat" calls are a completely different animal.
    NO-ONE should ever be without heat,,, unless the gas meter is locked-off, or the oil-tank is empty(for non-payment)!

Dave

• When people don't have heat, People Die!!!! at least it feels that way in the winter!!!! LOL
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    of course

some of them have to throw in I have young children that are cold. Funny you get there, and they have nothing but a diaper on. I don't need ANOTHER reason to go, no heat is enough, and will be there as soon as possible. lol peace
This discussion has been closed.