Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

compressor replacement

I have a trane rooftop a/c unit with a grounded 3 phase scroll compressor. the suction and discharge lines are brazed on; those unique conections you see on a lot of tranes are not used on this one.
trane told me it was a 4.8 ton compresor. can I replace it with a 5 ton copeland scroll? is a 4.8 the same as or close enough to a 5 ton copeland. I forgot the manufacturer's name (of the grounded compressor). thank you

Comments

• don_205
    don_205 Member Posts: 66
    Hi Dennis

You're be fine.The only issue I might see is being able to mount the scroll to the base of the unit.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Denis, I agree

Those fittings you are talking about are called "Roto Lock". You might be better replacing with same model from trane for the ease in base mount fit.

Mike T.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Definitely okay

You will definmitely be okay with a 5 hp pump....
    Eugene
  • ddenny
    ddenny Member Posts: 75
    compressor replacement

yes the fittings trane usually has are rotolock but this unit doesn't have rotolock. the suction and discharge are brazed on as most other manufacturers do it. so the only problem I'll have is mounting and some piping. so I'll go with the copeland instead of the original one trane used. It's about $350 cheaper.
    professor silberstein said a any 5 hp scroll would be fine. I think he meant 5 ton. thank you
This discussion has been closed.