Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Green Plumbers USA

Options
Ross_7
Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
...that the word "green" is overused. I would look at these classes as more as a learning experience rather than a marketable label. If this means that you become more skillful in your applied craft, then it can't be all that bad, can it?

Comments

• Ross_7
    Options
    Green Plumbers USA

Does anyone have any experience with this program yet? Pros & Cons? Thanks in advance!
    Ross
  • nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77
    Options

A scheme to get plumbers to spend money for a certivicate they don't need and that has no value.

Spam Spam spammitty Spam
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    I would argue...

... that most plumbers could do a FAR better job of making the things they install more water and energy efficient. This program is an attempt to light that path. No doubt someone hopes to make a living with the program, but that's not reason to put it down. I've only briefly met the folks doing this, but evil and greedy didn't jump out as their main motivators. Efficient plumbing is added value a thoughtful plumber can bring to the table.

Yours, Larry
  • nugs
    Options

I might agree with you, but if you are a plumber and follow the trade, you are inundated with green products and publications to the point that if you did not know anything about it you would have to be blind. The last thing we need is another BS certification that has absolutely zero value. Every single manufacturer of plumbing fixtures and faucets markets Green product. All the wholesale houses carry Green product. You don't have to have any special skill or knowledge to install any of this stuff much less be certified. Give me a break and save certifications for things that matter. And I'll bet you that this certification is not free. If they really cared it would be. sorry but it's just another scam.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Green...

...has become one of the most overused and meaningless words going these days. That does not insure Green Plumbers and their 32 hours of training is a scam. In looking through their site, I see lots of people are getting trained. I see also that a friend of mine, Gary Klein is a part time instructor for them. I've known him for years and know that he is considered one of the most knowledgeable people in the US when it comes to water and energy and also efficient plumbing design. If their other instructors are of that caliber, whatever they charge for training is worth it. If you google "structured plumbing Gary Klein" various of his articles will come up. No fraud, just fact :~)

Yours, Larry
  • nugs
    Options

And the cost is a mere 5 grand to sign up followed by a 300 dollar a month payment. Again, give me a break. Here's a bunch of guys that couldn't make it as plumbers, trying to find yet another way to make a buck off the trade. I have been teaching plumbing and HVAC for over 30 years now and believe me, I know crap when I see it. Every single class offered is offered for either free or less than a hundred bucks by many manufacturers and reps. What this is is a middle man marketing scheme. The actual training means squat. What you are paying for is the marketing. These schemes ultimately do more harm to the trade than good.
  • Ross_7
    Options
    Well,

I don't have a lot of these classes offered locally. I saw the advantage of taking them online. I wasn't planning on signing up for the high dollar endorsement. I thought it would be a chance to gain some info on some topics that I was interested in. BTW, I am a licensed journeyman plumber, licensed mechanical contractor, and licensed boiler installer in the State of Michigan,and I do follow the trade. I'm not on this topic to argue with you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Whatever they charge is worth it? $5000 up front and $300 a month?!!??! I agree that it sounds a bit much.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Not to quibble, but...

... the $5000 is not for training, but rather for licensing and marketing (which wouldn't matter to me). I don't see on their site what the actual training goes for. That is clearly a mistake on their part.

Yours, Larry
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    GREEN?

Sounds GREEN to me.

Sounds like you will be givin' up d' green if you join.

I haven't heard or read about any of this yet but it sure doesn't pass the initial "sniff test" for me IMHO....

What say the masses?

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • S R Denny
    S R Denny Member Posts: 26
    Options

I took all the courses offered last year, (when they were free). I found them to be informative. The presenters were very knowledgeable in the areas they spoke on. Since then I have referred to the study guides that came with thepresentation a number of times. Will I purchase the license to use their logo? No. I don't see how I could make it pay enough to cover my costs. Of course, once we bounce back from this recession green may take off. If it does I might reconsider.
  • Ross_7
    Options
    Classes

The classes are what I was interested in, and if the classes were informative. I realy don't care about the additional high dollar end. Thanks everyone for the input.
This discussion has been closed.