Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Geo units on cooling tower

Hello,

A question on the current setup at work. We have geo units on a loop with a cooling tower. In winter we have a steam to hot water converter to provide heat to the loop. In summer the tower.

My question is the way they add water and glycol. There is a tank with a site glass that is isolated from the loop when water and glycol is added. After adding the liquids, air is added to boost the pressure above 20 lbs. The system has an air seperator and air vents at the highest point of the system and a bladder tank for expansion. Will not the air elimanators work at removing the air in the "fill" tank? Don't I want to add water pressure to boost system pressure?

I will try to get pics monday, will probably make more sense when you see it. Just does not make sense the way it is set up.

Just started at the college here in April so have not experianced this system at work in extremes.

Thanks
Don in MO

Comments

• kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88

If you have a cooling tower you have a heat exchanger in the loop for the tower, if not you would have glycol in the tower also.

Most likely the pressure you are adding to the system is on the building loop, just like maintaining pressure on a boiler. The air remains in the expansion tank and may even have a blader between the air and glycol.
  • we maintain a similar system

and the system has a b&g scrubber also, but we don't chase any additions with air pressure. we use a pump that has enough pressure to overcome the system pressure
This discussion has been closed.