Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trap Questions

Options
i see a union on that trap. would taking off the trap make it easier? it looks like there is enough clearance to spin the body, once the union has been broken.--nbc

Comments

• TonyBal_2
    TonyBal_2 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Trap Questions

I have a bunch of Qs re traps. Thanks for any input.

Dunham-Bush 1E Repair Cartridge

My three crossover/vent Dunham 1E traps apparently have integral non-removable seats. Question re the repair cartridge for old Dunham-Bush Traps: StateSupply.com has replacement cartridge. The base of their new cartridge “cuts into the bronze base of the old trap…and creates a new “positive-off” seating surface.” Has anyone had any experience with these? Instinct tells me that an entire new trap would be better (1ESS or B&J, etc.), but I would rather go this cage unit route (if it works?). As you know, not having to remove/replace the entire trap is much less hassle.

Cage Units --- Hercules

I saw on StateSupply.com Hercules Cage Units. Has anyone tried these? Are they worth the extra $? Stainless steel screen, etc.

I am going to try to replace all the guts of my 21 traps (listed below). Is one replacement manufacturer better than another for my traps?

Wrenches for tight Spots

I have several places were wrench access is very tight for my traps, in some cases due to remodels. Are there wrenches for getting a trap top off in tight spaces? I imagine a giant socket wrench to get a cap of a trap off. Is there a best tool?

Trap Diagnostics

Any thoughts on ultrasonic listening devices or temp change Laser Pistols? Anyone have any preference for fancy tools used? Temp crayons?

“Method of Crossing I-Beam”

Photo of before and after insulation removal (by a white suit pro) of Illinois Trap area. Photos show area cleaned up a bit minus old insulation and removed sheetrock to give boiler pro more room. He is opting for the “I Beam” approach. (See photos) More later. I'm lookin forward to this fix.

My System: 2-Pipe Dunham Vapor

Trap List

17 Thermostatic Radiator Traps
    16 Marsh Reflux No.1
    1 Warren-Webster 712HB (wonder why this one is different?)

4 Crossover/Vent Traps
    3 Dunham-Bush 1Es
    1 Illinois Thermo No. 1

My plan is to put new “guts” in all 21 traps.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks Again.

GN Homeowner
  • TonyBal_2
    TonyBal_2 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    ooohhhh

Now that you mention it. My Dunham traps all have unions. Something I did not know. I thought it was all one piece. The paint on them threw me I guess...but a lame excuse.

The prior photo is of my Illinois Trap. I have attached below one of my 3 Dunham traps. It looks like it may be easier, and likely better to replace the entire trap given that the union is there. I could not see how the trap could come off earlier w/out putting a fresh union in the 1/2" pipe...knucklehead HO.

Thanks Nicholas!

GN Homeowner
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    traps

Hey GN, if you are able to replace these traps and if you have any extra room, you might want to install strainers and test tees if you can, this way you can see if the traps are passing steam, the pic attatched is just one of the many trap's we replaced and repiped them with vaves, strainers, and test tees, To test the trap you close the ball valve on the outlet and open the test tee ball valve to see if you are passing live steam, hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.