Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Prestige & Tank - DF

Options
bob_46
bob_46 Member Posts: 813
Great pictures Dan. Is the new boiler piped primary secondary into the old system? What pump circulates the old system? Thanks for posting. bob

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    Prestige

We actually did this one last November but we were there today doing some AC work so I snapped a few pics. The house was built in 1899 and is located in Leesburg, VA.

The owner has kept the old coal fired Gurney in place for historical value. The gate valves are shut and have not been touched in years.

I installed a Burnham V-7 oil boiler back in 1994. At the time, the carcasses of two other cast iron boilers were left in the basement. Neither lasted more than two years. I piped the V-7 with a bypass to avoid the thermal shock that did in the other two. I also ran the Series 100 pump in continuous circulation mode. While the V-7 lasted 15 years and did not crack, I did not fully comprehend flue gas condensation at the time. With no return water temperature protection, the flue gases continually condensed in the heat exchanger. It became a chore to clean every fall.

Since fuel bills were high, gas was available, and the client's lack of enough DHW, we retired the V-7 and installed a Prestige 250 and a Smart 80 tank last fall. The system runs on reset and I set the high limit at 150* at design conditions. It condenses almost continuously. -DF

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nice Job!

Cool pictures! Nice new installation! How ya been? I haven't seen you in quite a long time. I think the last time I saw you was at a Nationals game at RFK a couple years ago with Jeff from Sommerville. Oh there was that PM cover! Hope all is going well for you! Anything going on with the local chapter of the RPA? Let me know if there is.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sweet install Dan

Looks like a real heavyweight expansion tank ? Big rads in the house ?
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Yes it has been awhile. That Nats gane was three years ago at the old stadium. Time flies! Hope to see you soon. Not much going on locally with the RPA chapter but I will keep you posted on any updates. -DF

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Tank

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the comments. We went to the larger expansion tank due to the water content of the system - 3" & 4" mains with column radiators. -DF

• Unknown
    Options
    Yowza

You fooled me with the 3/4 and 1 inch piping around the boiler and indirect :)

How you been doing ? Haven't seen you post pics in a while .
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Ron

Ron,

Been staying busy and the company has been growing. I have lots of photos but not much time to post lately. It looks like you have been staying busy as well.

The boiler is piped with 1-1/4" copper per the I&O manual. It is hard to tell with all the big pipes in the boiler room. -DF

• Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Options

Nice neat looking job, and good clear pics. Def not a camera phone. Nothing worse than trying to take a pic of a job with a crappy camera.
  • Cheeze-Tech
    Cheeze-Tech Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Triangle Tube

Nice pictures. Just wondering what your experience with the Triangle Tube boilers have been. I've got a couple applications I've been thinking of trying one out in. Easy to install/set up? What's their warranty like? Any issues? Support? I've been using Ultra's but have a Church with antifreeze in it that would be hard to flush.

Thanks!
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Prestige

Cheez,

I easily have over a hundred Prestige boilers installed over the last 4 or 5 years. We have had no major problems. We bought three repair kits but have rarely used any of the parts.

We had one LP boiler that had a hard light-off and gave us some trouble. Our rep sent us an updated ignitor and that resolved the problem.

- DF

• Dan Foley
    Options
    Pump

Good eye, Bob. This is NOT piped P-S. The system is an old gravity system with 4" mains and column radiators. There is minimal resistance to flow. My intent was to mimic the old gravity system and minimize the return water temperature to the boiler. It has been in for a one season and so far it has performed like a champ. - DF

• Cheeze-Tech
    Cheeze-Tech Member Posts: 84
    Options

Thanks for the info. Do you know the warranty on them? Have you put in any of the larger units? Have you tried the Prestige Excellence? How are they for keeping up with domestic hw. I've thougt about suggesting one to replace my brother-in-law's 7yr old FAILED Munchkin. Its just past full warranty and he doesn't want to pay the 25% to put a new one in. He's leary of mod cons now.
  • Dan Foley
    Options
    Prestige

We have installed 110's, 175's, and 250's. We have not installed the 399 yet. Larger sizes may be in the pipeline from what I hear. I have not installed the Excellence.

The warranty is ten-year heat exchanger and one-year parts. Our local support through Bay Hydronics is great as well as the factory support. In my opinion, it is the best value at its price point. Give it a try! -DF

This discussion has been closed.