Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do I need to neutralize?

Options
Yes, yes, yes, since I'm also a plumber and now seeing the result of acidic 'waste' from the heating units. Cast iron etched out and causing sewer gas and leakage under ground... and the idiots codes still required cast iron replacment while connected to pvc sewer outside the building.

Comments

• Serge
    Serge Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Do I need to neutralize condensate?

Pretige 110. Floor drain with new PVC drain line ~30ft hooked into old cast iron hub. Everything drains into the cast iron hub (shower, toilet, etc).

Should I still hook up a neutralizer?
  • Unknown
    Options
    neutralize condensate?

Absolutely,, for the reasons Ray stated!

Dave
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,699
    Options
    yea

we make our own, 3" PVC Dandy with 3x1 and 3 x 3/4 bushings, and fill it up with marble chips. gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Serge
    Serge Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Ok dokey.

I've seen the pics of ones that people have made, just wasn't sure I needed to if it was going into PVC waste pipe and then way down the line to cast iron.

But, rather be safe than sorry!
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,699
    Options
    yes

I guess if there's cast iron anywhere it's best to neuter the stuff, if the house was new, all plastic, i would say NO (a little low-ph condensate is going to mess with the septic or sewer???)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
    Options

Is there any "official" word on putting condensate, raw or neutralized, down the drain? I know in a lot of places what you put down the drain is a very touchy area and not all that well defined.
  • Jerry_27
    Jerry_27 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Sewer Tax based on water

meter. You shouldnt put anything down a drain that hasnt come through the meter.Unless of course your not sewer connected. I saw a case where a laundrymat figured their sewer bill should be less because most water in a laundry is evaporated or a good portion anyway. How they made out I never heard. But its not to hard to imagine when 90 percent of a city is using condensing boilers that the sewer authority is going to device some type of tax for this along with regulations concerning the treatment. Getting rid of the water in a small french drain will eliminate all these headaches.
  • Kool Rod
    Options

It probably depends a lot on where you are located. Here, in California, a "French Drain" might cause you more problems in the long run if it is considered "dumping". I guess because I live in a "warm and fuzzy" area it is a bit more of a concern.

There is a vacant lot nearby and someone dumped off a couple of gallon containers of unknown liquids. It was noticed and reported and a Hasmet crew arrived . They put on special suits, hoods and breathing equipment and setup a portable shower plus a lot of other gear. All that was really needed was a large plastic bag and a shovel/gloves. (if you didn't want to touch the containers) I heard that they were trying to bill the lot owner for $11K for the cleanup! That's gives you an idea of how wacky things can get.

Codes etc. are always behind the times though I imagine that with all the modcons going in, the condensate issue will soon be addressed. I was just wondering what other localities and manufacturers were doing /saying about the issue.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Cast iron replacement?

Not sure what code you use, but we can replace with PVC.
  • Kool Rod
    Options

Sorry, my fault...by "codes" I was referring to the regulations of local municipal/authority whom ever governs what is discharged into the sewer or aquifer (into the ground)
This discussion has been closed.